(101 Posts)
BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Sat 11-Oct-08 16:22:49

Christmas Pudding Vodka

1 litre vodka
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
25g each currants, raisins, dried figs(halved if large)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl or jug, then decant into large (they recommend 1.3 litre) sterilised (dishwasher okay) bottle. Seal with cork or screw cap.

Leave for at least 2 weeks in a dark place, shaking occasionally to agitate the ingredients, then use a funnel lined with a coffee filter paper to decant into "pretty sterilised bottles of your choice" (but no info on where to get them!) - add a fresh piece of lemon and orange peel and a fresh cinnamon stick if you like.

With thanks to Bramshott

Sparkleandshine Fri 22-Nov-13 18:03:49

Time to get this one going this year!!! I'm doing Christmas pudding vodka!

Onykahonie Mon 04-Nov-13 20:48:28

Gilly, I made mine in a plastic jug covered with clingfilm and kept it in the fridge.

Here's my Limoncello recipe

Tuftysquirrel Thu 04-Oct-12 22:54:51

Thanks RaisonDEtre, that looks great and not too complicated. Had no idea limoncello was made from vodka but explains why it is so alcoholic! Looks like I need to buy a job lot of vodka this christmas...

RaisinDEtre Wed 03-Oct-12 22:58:10

oops, that was sposed to say Limoncello recipe, made this many times blah de blah

RaisinDEtre Wed 03-Oct-12 22:57:19

made this many times, tis lush mine always looks thin compared to the pic in the link, that one looks somehow eggy hmm

Tuftysquirrel Wed 03-Oct-12 22:45:40

Loved loved loved the christmas pudding vodka I made from this recipe last Christmas-sadly so did everyone else so the experimental 500mls I made didn't last any time at all! It was fantastic even though I only made it two weeks before Christmas with Sainsburys or Tescos value vodka. Planning industrial-scale quantities this year!

Anybody got a home-made Limoncello recipe?

Allalonenow Sun 30-Sep-12 18:16:10

Quarante-quatre
Someone mentioned this up thread, but as they've not posted a recipe, I hope they don't mind if I post mine.

Take one orange and stab it through the skin into the flesh 44 times. Into each slot push a coffee bean. Put it into a large Kilner type jar and add 44 sugar lumps. Fill the jar up with alcohol. In France I use "Alcool pour Fruits" but any cheap vodka will be fine.
Leave somewhere cool, shaking the jar gently every few days. After 44 days decant into a clean bottle.
This is the basic method, I sometimes reduce the sugar, or use brown sugar or use tangerines or also put a few stips of peel from a fresh orange in the final bottle.

Now if anyone has an Italian grandmother with a recipe for Lemoncello, I would love to try making that.

cupcakefairy Sat 29-Sep-12 22:00:54

Does the Christmas pudding recipe work with gin? Has anyone tried it?

MrsTwinks Sat 29-Sep-12 19:28:30

i've used 2 litre plastic bottles before for making gins, work fine

If anyone has sloes and is bored of gin, I made Rum with vanilla sugar. Lush it is.

Zeeky Sat 29-Sep-12 19:15:39

I just used a big kilner jar.

givemeaclue Sat 29-Sep-12 19:10:04

Any suggestions for the 1.3 litre bottles to brew the Christmas pudding vodka in?

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 22:11:02

It did all get drunk, so couldn't have been that bad!! Not fond of rum myself, so didn't try any, but my parents said they weren't keen. Or maybe it just hadn't matured enough like you say, as it was only left to infuse for the minimum amount of time.

RaisinDEtre Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:03

200 ml plenty

Zeeky wrt the xmas pud vodka - I am surprised it didn't work with rum, have you tried it recently? A good long rest between last Xmas and now might have smoothed it down beautifully

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 20:59:31

Monthly they often do special offers on bulk buying. I got a box of the bottles which worked out much cheaper per bottle, as otherwise makes the gifts more pricey!

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 20:57:00

oo pretty!

Zeeky Wed 26-Sep-12 19:56:30

I used these bottles for mine last year, which are 200ml & I think it was plenty, particularly if giving more then one flavour. I reckon you could get away with smaller ones if giving multiples to the same person.

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 19:28:47

Or is that still too small? Would you go 500ml?

MonthlyChange Wed 26-Sep-12 13:25:45

How much do you give people as presents? Was thinking on giving each person a selection of different alcohols. So 100ml of each or 250ml etc ?

Zeeky Tue 25-Sep-12 10:44:57

I made some Christmas pudding rum last year and it wasn't a success (although DH enjoyed it!) Maybe it was me ballsing up the recipe or maybe it just works better with vodka?

Kveta Mon 24-Sep-12 19:51:59

has anyone tried liquer 44 before btw?

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 17-Sep-12 00:00:16

thanks raisin I could put the elderberry away till next year.

RaisinDEtre Sun 16-Sep-12 23:11:12

I so would do Xmas pudding with rum, not sure about scotch

elderberry gin would do okay I am sure, treat like blackcurrant/other soft fruit but high tannin so would leave for over a year before straining/bottling

flyoverthegoldenhill Sun 16-Sep-12 23:06:33

stabbing are you me ? I actually was thinking that this afternoon. I fancy trying it with scotch. And this will be the weirdest yet I'm thinking of trying carrot vodka, would it go orange ? Would it be great in a bloody mary ? I might give it a go and report back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I maybe gone some time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if MNHQ are awake ........how about elderberry gin ?

StabbingWestward Sun 16-Sep-12 22:24:28

Does anyone know if the xmas pudding recipe would work with rum? Or scotch?

DoingTheBestICan Sun 16-Sep-12 21:03:19

Last yr I made sherbet lemon vodka,I don't drink but dh said it was nice,also made raspberry vodka,cherry vodka and Christmas pudding vodka.

Quite fancy making the rhubarb one this yr too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now