Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Badly bruised cheek and lump under skin not going anywhere fast...

(9 Posts)

Yup, had one here too, DS come over the handlebars of his bike and landed on his chin. Huge purple egg and this weird lump. Took nearly a year to fade, and there is still a small amount there now. We found massaging it helped it break up

eurobaby Mon 21-Jan-13 08:22:09

So so happy I found this thread.... my DS fell off his bike and had the same thing I was starting to panic... Thank you everyone!!!

blondiep14 Wed 05-May-10 17:15:09

smile

Beautifullettuce Tue 04-May-10 07:21:51

This is why I love MNers! Reassurance all round, thanks so much ladies.

bellavita Mon 03-May-10 20:18:06

We had exactly the same with DS2!

It took about 3 or 4 months to go away. Cannot see anything at all now.

CharlieBoo Mon 03-May-10 20:16:11

Yes it has a name actually, a ..... Heamatoma, can't remember the first word, sorry. My ds was kicked very hard in the shin and had a horrendous bruise. After the bruise had gone the lump was still there. Dr said can take weeks to go. Dr told me a warm bath helped which it did but harder with the face. Maybe try a warm flannel on it.

foxinsocks Mon 03-May-10 20:02:04

yes we had exactly the same, took months. Doctor told us it often happens when they've had a very hard bang (something comes together and forms a hard lump).

I felt terribly guilty as we didn't take her to hosp (she was running and tripped and hit her cheek bone on the corner of a bench) and about 6 weeks later, went to the doc for something else and he asked what the lump was blush

blondiep14 Mon 03-May-10 19:58:26

Yes! My DS1 had exactly the same. It took about 3 months to totally disperse but it's all absolutely fine now.
Horrid, isn't it?!

Beautifullettuce Mon 03-May-10 16:35:13

Before Easter my 3 yo DS collided with the edge of a screen at pre-school. It left a horrendous bruise. Now, 6 wks later, the bruising has almost all gone but there is a hard lump onder the skin which forms a big crease in his face when he talks/smiles. It's really altered the shape of his face. I took him to the GP 2 wks ago who was unconcerned - he's not in any pain - she said to re-visit if it shows no improvement in a month. Has anyone had any experience of this? Is the hardness scar tissue that will eventually dissolve? Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now