Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sunken fontelle

(3 Posts)
IndiaBound Mon 16-Jun-14 06:44:22

Hi all,

Our newborn is now 2 months old and apart from a few hours every afternoon/early evening, the joy of our lives!

I have noticed all along that the fontelle on the top of her head is sunken - today (as it was a hot night and the hair she has is stuck to her head) I can see it very easily. Can also see a pulse under it.

Is this normal or something to be concerned about?

Best wishes

Graham

MyNameIsSuz Mon 16-Jun-14 07:04:16

I think that's usually a sign of dehydration isn't it? As it's hot, make sure she's getting enough to drink, so more feeds than usual or a little cooled boiled water if that won't work. I'd try that then check with the doctor if it doesn't work.

Oh, and the pulse thing I don't think is anything to worry about, I know plenty of babies who always had a pulse there!

MsBumble Mon 16-Jun-14 07:37:27

A children's doctor at A&E once advised me on this issue, by telling me that a sunken fontanelle alone is not a sign of dehydration unless it is accompanied by other symptoms, for example:

- Fewer wet nappies
- Strong smelling or dark urine
- Listlessness
- Sunken eyes
- Tearless crying

All three of mine sometimes had a sunken fontanelle, at other times it bulged and did the whole throbbing thing. But of course if you are worried consult a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now