Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Private ENT surgeon - grommets

(66 Posts)
SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 15:43:43

My 2 year old son has been recommended grommets by an excellent ENT surgeon who is also very senior in the NHS.

His hearing is very bad which seems to be causing his speech delay. As a result I really want him to have the op ASAP.

The only problem is that because of the summer holiday it seems likely we can't get the op very soon with him. I would like to have the op done this month otherwise what is the point of having gone private sad

Does anyone happen to know a good ENT surgeon in London who has capacity over August? I know it's a long shot, but I wondered if someone has been booking their own child's op??

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 16:20:47

Bump

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 17:36:13

Bumping again!! Had anyone booked a private grommets op in the last 4 weeks???

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 18:43:59

Anyone at all??

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 02-Aug-13 18:50:23

Not me but have you tried oesteopayhy? It may or may not have worked, who knows but in 9 months my ds has gone from having "significNt loss" to being "almost normal". oesteopath found his head didnt turn properly one side - could physically see it once pointed out and that was narrowing his tubes. Cost us maybe £400 in Ppys. Got to be worth a try.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 02-Aug-13 18:52:04

sorry, cost us £400 in appointments.

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 18:54:02

Ohh that's such a kind thought, thank you, but I think he's quite bad at 50% hearing loss, so does really need surgery as its affecting his overall development.

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 21:49:01

Anyone??

redgreenblue24 Fri 02-Aug-13 21:54:13

I have 2 dc who have had grommets for hearing loss and speech problems, rather than for ear infections. I would recommend using same consultant who recommended the op to do the op. We ended up with a different one and wasn't ideal as they all have different views. Also may affect if they want adenoids etc too. Presumably your private consultant cant be too booked up, if it is only another month or so it shouldn't make too much difference.

StillSlightlyCrumpled Fri 02-Aug-13 21:55:32

Have they spoken to you shout referring him on to hearing services in the meantime for hearing aids? This is becoming a more popular, less invasive method. If his hearing is that impaired you would do well to ask to see them anyway.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted smile.

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:04:21

Red, thanks v much for posting -I think there is no issue with his adenoids, luckily. What was the problem with going to a different person - that they wanted to go through all the pros and cons all over again?

Would it be ok to ask who you went to and whether you would recommend them?

DS is really quite speech delayed and consultant has said hearing loss AF this level can affect overall development, so I just want it done ASAP sad

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:05:16

FFs, at not AF blush

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:06:28

Still, the paed audiologist said he must have aids if any delay, but knowing him (only just 2) there is no way he would wear them sad she was very clear he must have grommets ASAP and pushed our report out in a few days to minimise waiting time.

StillSlightlyCrumpled Fri 02-Aug-13 22:14:21

I hope they sort it for him, I do know how worrying it is.

My son has had several sets of grommets & t-tubes as well as wearing hearing aids, & it is frustrating when such a minor procedure is delaying their progress.

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:19:18

Thank you, Still - it is really nice to get support from someone who understands.

StillSlightlyCrumpled Fri 02-Aug-13 22:23:10

I would say (if you would be able) to ring up & ask to be placed on a cancellation list. Children often have to cancel their surgery due to colds/ illness etc. Twice I've been called asking if we could go in that same day.

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:25:31

That is a very good tip - thank you!

SunnyIntervals Fri 02-Aug-13 22:54:21

Bump

SunnyIntervals Sat 03-Aug-13 07:02:26

Anyone around this morning who knows?

oohdaddypig Sat 03-Aug-13 07:10:56

Sorry - I don't understand your question - wouldn't you have to phone round to find an ENT available? I know mumsnet is good but it's not that good....

Sorry to be flippant OP, I share your concerns....

Maybe repost with who can recommend a good private ENT in London/south? And then check availability?

Have you thought about trying non dairy eg sheep/goat milk/ cheese for a few weeks?

We are not near you but on a long waiting list. Private ENT are more adult based so I'd prefer a paediatric ENT hence the wait.

SunnyIntervals Sat 03-Aug-13 08:17:29

Ooh daddy, thanks - very valid question!! I've already identified two other private paed ENTs recommended on MN on previous threads (dr google!) but their secretaries are not sure there will be availability in August.

If anyone on here has just booked with a private paed ENT they may know their surgeon DOES have availability - hence the question smile

SunnyIntervals Sat 03-Aug-13 08:18:22

With non dairy I have looked into it but I understand from the nsdc that there is no scientific evidence this works, though some parents do find it helpful.

SunnyIntervals Sat 03-Aug-13 11:47:11

Final bump!

mammal Sat 03-Aug-13 15:11:45

My daughter sees David Albert at Portland Hospital. No idea of his availability though.

SunnyIntervals Sat 03-Aug-13 23:17:59

Thanks mammal - its really kind of you to post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now