Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sad about DS's hearing loss

(20 Posts)
redgreenblue24 Wed 31-Jul-13 07:59:46

My experience has been that even if you raise it earlier than age 2 they do a watch and wait delay unless the child has severe infections. Two of mine had hearing loss without the infections and grommets were not done until after a year or two of monitoring but both started speech therapy by age 2.5.

One of mine had ear not properly formed so they couldn't even get a grommet in - they only found this once he was on the operating table. However his speech is now the same as all the others aged 6.

Both mine recovered immediately from grommets and adenoids (done at age 3 and 4) and were sat up in bed happily playing within minutes and didn't even cry when they came round and had no ill effects afterwards. This ward is the best department I have seen in our hospital and certainly the best staff and ratios etc and I couldn't fault it either time but no idea if that is common.

hatchypom Mon 29-Jul-13 20:01:06

Loads of good stuff to read on the NDCS website and you can get support through a teacher of the deaf, take all the help you can

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 11:51:31

DeWe, DS runs away too and I'm now suddenly realising he can't hear me sad

Thanks so much for all the posts everyone - it is so reassuring smile

DeWe Tue 23-Jul-13 11:07:10

Ds has glue ear. It was picked up earlier (grommets at 20 months) but only because he had constant ear infections-so at least he's been spared that pain. At 6yo (now) he's so used to ear pain he doesn't even complain about it. I can tell by how he's holding his head. sad

But the ENT told me that most parents don't notice. Children are so adaptable, that they cope very well.
My one with ds was when he was tiny, he had this cute little habit of patting my cheek when we were talking. He (as I thought) grew out of it before he was 2yo. About 15 months later he started doing it again. Didn't think much of it, just very cute... until he did it at ENT and they pointed out he was turning my face so he could lip read blush. Never realised, but he was very good at lipreading.
He also watches things (from an early age) with subtitles, which meant he learnt to read from that.

Grommets help a lot. He's had two lots so far. The one I remember is after his second set, he turned to me in autumn as we ran through crunchy leaves and said "the leaves didn't crunch last year" and was insistant about it. I realised that he just couldn't hear them the previous year.
The advantage from my point of view was that if he was running off I could call him back. I'd just thought he was naughtily ignoring me-he couldn't hear from behind at all.

cestlavielife Tue 23-Jul-13 11:06:23

speaking full sentences is only expected around two anyway - so if he is just two then not saying full sentences is not a huge delay yet.
what about understanding, naming an recognising pictures etc(vocabulary) ? play skills? imaginative play?

cestlavielife Tue 23-Jul-13 11:04:50

he is jsut two. push for grommets a s a p and referral to speech therapist. if is jsut down to teh glu ear then this can be treated and he will soon catch up.
if his speech delay is for other reasons then you need speech therapy and refer to speech groups and so on locally as well as focus on teaching him some simple makaton signs (watch cbeebies something special) . ocus on things like more yes no biscuit drink eat etc

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 06:49:56

Thanks so much for all the handholding. The positive stories are so encouraging!

Floralnomad Mon 22-Jul-13 22:58:30

FWIW my son only said a few words at 2 and I had contacted the HV about it who was not particularly interested and then suddenly at about 2.5 he started talking in sentences so he seemed to miss out the bit where they say lots of single /joined together words. That said he's always been quite lazy so probably couldn't be bothered to talk . He also has no speech defects/ impediments so no indication that there is anything wrong with his hearing. As far as he is concerned he has nothing wrong with him until he can use it to his benefit i.e in foreign language exams .

BCBG Mon 22-Jul-13 22:51:35

Hi GherkinsAreAce - if it helps, my DS with 80% hearing loss from glue ear undiagnosed until 2 and severe speech delay (he didn't talk at all, just lip read and I hadn't noticed blush ) is off to Cambridge in October! grin

verybadhairdoo Mon 22-Jul-13 22:48:20

My DS2 has recently had his second grommet operation - he is now 4 and had his first set at 2. They really do make a difference. Do push for it. He compensates by lipreading - I am quite sure as I have hearing loss too, and can see him coping in the same ways that I do. Personally I have about 50%. I never got any hearing aids until well into my mid 20s. I hasn't affected me in terms of speech or schooling or jobs. I went to university, have a highly paid job etc. The best thing about glue ear is that something can be done about it. My hearing loss is permanent and degenerative. So I thank my lucky stars that my DS has glue ear which can be rectified. There is always a positive. Once the grommets are in their speech improves incredibly fast. He will catch up to other children I promise you. don't worry but DO get the op done. It will really make a difference.smile

homeappliance Mon 22-Jul-13 22:46:33

Please don't be hard on yourself, you've done a wonderful job! Firstly you pushed to have his hearing tested, which proved he had a glue ear and he can now receive the appropriate treatment. Secondly he's already under the care of a SALT should your son need support. Even if his glue ear had been picked up earlier, ENT are generally reluctant to offer grommets until a child is at least 2 years old.

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 22:28:34

Quip, that made me cry blush

Thank you to all of you who have posted such kind things. I love DS so much and everything here is so hard currently - DH has been out of work since November, I can't get pg with number 2 and DS is struggling so much with speech sad

quip Mon 22-Jul-13 22:23:30

Ds1 had glue ear at that age. He wasn't talking until after his second birthday and his speech didn't pick up until after his grommets surgery and SALT. Fast forward to age seven: he's doing fantastically at school,has a very good ear for music (absolute pitch) and moreover he never bloody shuts up. He talks or sings non stop from waking up until bedtime. He still has some hearing loss on one side but has mainly grown out of it.

So don't worry. Do some research into grommets as the effect can be amazing.

LemonBreeland Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:46

I have no experience of hearing loss. But I took my DS to get his eyes tested at age 3 and was horrified that I hadn't noticed sooner that he couldn't see very well.

Young children are very good at compensating and it is difficult to tell these things. You have caught it very young so be proud about that.

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 22:10:05

Thank you Flora, that is so comforting to hear. We got the SALT report tonight, which makes slightly sober reading - he is missing most consonants from his speech.

Floralnomad Mon 22-Jul-13 22:08:00

My son was found to be 40/50% deaf in both ears at age 6 ,and not glue ear ,permanent loss. He had taught himself to lip read . He wore in the ear hearing aids until he was 11 and then refused to wear them anymore . He is now at university and educationally has always done well above average . I wouldn't be too concerned about your sons speech at 2 he will catch up really quickly .

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 21:59:17

Thanks both of you! I feel like a crap mother tonight sad

Just wish we'd realised 6 months ago then he might have sentences by now sad

Procrastinating Mon 22-Jul-13 19:38:38

Mine had this, it is common I think. I didn't realise until he was 5 so you are better than me OP. Children find ways of coping, mine was lipreading.

We had lots of hearing tests where I met parents whose children had grommets. They all said it was quick and easy and the transformation was miraculous.

I decided against grommets because he was near enough age 7 (when most children grow out of glue ear) to wait and se what happened. My son is 8 now and we have just been told his hearing is now in the normal range. If I had known at age 2 we would have had grommets. You have caught it early Gherkins, he will be fine.

MummyCoolski Mon 22-Jul-13 19:31:31

No experience, but it sounds like you did everything right and your DS will get the treatment he needs soon.

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 18:50:37

DS has been diagnosed today with having 50% hearing loss due to glue ear sad

He has a speech delay and is just 2.

I really pushed for the hearing test, but feel I have failed him by not realising sooner that he couldn't hear us. It was really confusing as he heard some very tiny noises well and I now realise you can have good hearing at some frequencies but not at others.

We will be pressing for grommets, which I also had as a child, but I just feel so down sad

Can anyone reassure me about the op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now