Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Support as I'm in A&E with 11 yr old dd.

(72 Posts)
catty1234 Sun 16-Jun-13 08:33:50

She got head butted in school by a boy for not giving him an Ipad straight away. She got blown to the floor but got up, then 10 mins later in literacy she was white as a sheet and having trouble talking.
Teacher said "are you ok" and she fainted on to the floor.
Woke up about 5 mins later and saw 3 of the teacher.
I was called and DD was taken down the stairs but felt like she was falling. Friend brought down her stuff and she fainted again, this time she kept apologising when she woke up. Took her to a&e and she has been in and out of a sleep, fainting, being sick and crying since.
This happened on Friday and She is still in hospital. I am so worried as I know she thinks its her fault. In between sleep she keeps apologising and crying and being sick, she faints when she stands up.If anyone has support I would be grateful as this probable isn't the usual concussion

BoffinMum Sun 16-Jun-13 17:13:39

Picardy, he's above the age of criminal responsibility and has broken the law, committing grievous bodily harm in the process and hospitalising someone. How bad do you think it has to be before a line is drawn in the sand? Nobody is suggesting he is beyond redemption but what he did was unspeakably wrong and needs to be taken very seriously.

PatPig Sun 16-Jun-13 17:19:53

It is important to contact the police so it is impressed upon the little shit that such behaviour is an extremely serious matter and should not be repeated in the future. It is for his benefit.

catty1234 Sun 16-Jun-13 18:34:52

Been discharged and She is under monitor by me for 5 days.
Had a phone call from head teacher saying boy is expelled and the secondary school he is going to in September has been notified. Will contact the police one Monday as her dad is coming home then so he can look after her and the LO while I go to the police. She has been concious since 1 so she is doing well. She has not been sick or fainted and now understands it was not her fault at all, she was just going through process and she did the right thing. Thank you for your lovely messages. I will keep you informed.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 18:41:37

Fantastic news about being home, hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Also good news to hear from the school too and that they are being so supportive

PicardyThird Sun 16-Jun-13 18:57:20

Glad she's home and hope she continues to recover.

Of course what he did was serious. I would certainly want him dealt with if he'd done it to one of mine. And yes, he is above the age of criminal responsibility - although I think setting that age as low as 10 is bonkers tbh. But honestly, he's a primary-age child and that sort of violence indicates he needs help rather than anything else, for his own sake as well as to prevent him doing it to someone else. I hope the police handle it sensitively.

PatPig, again, whatever this child has done, calling him a 'little shit' is revolting.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 19:03:04

I agree with your post Picardy, punishment is needed but also looking into why he did it and intervening before it gets worse as he gets older.

Calling a ten year old a little shit is, at best, unhelpful.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 19:03:47

And at worst, revolting

Smudging Sun 16-Jun-13 19:08:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3littlefrogs Sun 16-Jun-13 19:24:57

Early intervention is very important. Two of the boys who bullied ds at primary school have served prison terms for GBH. Somebody should have intervened long before it got that far, it was entirely predictable IMO.

girliefriend Sun 16-Jun-13 19:37:46

Are these children at primary school shock ??

I was assuming secondary...

Would still go to the police and am also surprised that she was sent back to class after being head butted and would want an explanation for that from the head teacher.

Your poor poor dd, it makes me feel sick thinking about it. Really hope she is o.kay smile

You are right to go to re police. If he has anger issues and needs CAMHS involvement then having things like this logged is invaluable.

And as for not calling him a little shit. He shouldn't behave like one.

My 8 year old wouldn't dream of being violent to anyone, hitting, kicking, punching, he knows it is all wrong, but head butting is a different level of violence IMO and coming from such a you g child makes it all the more horrifying.

Above all, I am glad your dd has been discharged from hospital and hopefully makes a full and speedy recovery.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 20:16:48

There is a difference between saying someone behaved like a little shit verses someone is a little shit. That is all.

Hulababy Sun 16-Jun-13 20:17:53

Your poor girl sad I hope she continues to make good progress.

I think you are right to take matters further. This is a very serious offence. And yes, the boy may have significant issues which has caused him to react like this. However, even if police involvement seems too harsh for some, this is actually probably the best thing in term of getting that boy the help he might need. A referral via the police will probably lead to much quicker help coming forward.

The school will not be able to just sit on this either. They will need to have reported this as it is a big issue. They can;t just expel and keep stum.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 16-Jun-13 20:35:35

Please make sure charges are pressed, this means the boy concerned may actually get some support from a youth offending team and anger management - these things do help from an early age, from the way you describe it the boy may have had similar incidents before.

I hope your dd has a good recovery, and you're able to take a breath for yourself soon.

LoveSewingBee Sun 16-Jun-13 21:11:28

Has the hospital explained why she drifts in and out of consciousness?

I had serious concussion after a fall from a horse during cross country. I was briefly unconscious and had to rest for six weeks suffering from awful headaches, but not the drifting in and out of consciousess. Just wonder what is causing this and whether she is getting the treatment she needs???

I wish your dd a speedy recovery and wish you lots of strength. I agree with others to get the police involved so this boy can also get the help he clearly needs and to prevent him doing such a thing again or worse.

lougle Sun 16-Jun-13 21:17:47

My goodness, you must be so concerned. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

catty1234 Sun 16-Jun-13 21:28:27

Thank you!!

LilRedWG Mon 17-Jun-13 17:43:02

Glad to hear that DD is home and on the mend.

CrystalTits Mon 17-Jun-13 19:53:09

Been lurking and so glad to hear of your DD's progress. Hope you got on ok today when reporting the incident to the police - I have to mention though that it's been worrying me a lot that she was sent back to class after such a significant blow to the head & neck. If I were in your position I'd want to know why an ambulance wasn't called - you shouldn't have had to mobilise her, get her down the stairs and to A&E yourself. Hope the school takes this opportunity to conduct a full review of what happened.

Best wishes for her continued improvement flowers

BoffinMum Thu 20-Jun-13 11:37:16

The school will have been in total shock about what happened and in denial about the seriousness, I imagine. Unless you know about head injuries in children it might be difficult to make the best call in the circumstances. That having been said, if I were HT I would be rollocking people about not calling an ambulance.

Moodykat Fri 21-Jun-13 03:20:09

How is DD Catty?

Terrible experience for you all - is there any update you can give us?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now