Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Burst appendix/peritonitis in 3 year old - urgent advise

(34 Posts)
jaabaar Tue 04-Jun-13 23:44:36

Hi

My 3 year old dd just came home after surgery for perforated appendix.
I had no access to info on net in hospital.

Have read a bit now and I'm getting very upset.
All the treatments I read she should have had it was not followed. Also I was only told by the 3 rd doctor that the appendix had actually burst.

Is anyone on here who can give me advise?

Where shall I go with my questions? Gp? If I make emergency app they will only see me 2 min?

I'm very worried abt this and feel I was not informed. Please help me with some advise.

Thank you

jaabaar Thu 13-Jun-13 23:04:09

Thank you LizzyP1

Just wanted to be sure that I'm not over the top.... And stating that appendix was perforated and peritonitis is quite a big thing to leave out.

Thank you.

My dd is finally fully back to her happy self!

Ragusa Thu 13-Jun-13 23:30:21

I don't think you're being unreasonable about the incorrect notes at all. They should be amended as you say.

So glad your DD is ok. How terrifying for you all.

jaabaar Fri 14-Jun-13 11:27:08

Thank you Ragusa.

Thank you to all who have given advise. I appreciate.

Ragusa are u swiss?

Ragusa Fri 14-Jun-13 11:55:08

No....English. but I have been to lovely Switzerland many times if that helps smile

Is Ragusa a swiss german or romantsch word? I just picked it because I love Dubrovnik and Ragusa's the old name for it.

jaabaar Fri 14-Jun-13 14:00:12

Ragusa is a very nice swiss chocolate! I'm very very surprised that you know the romantsch language? It is my mother tongue and whenever I tell someone my mother tongue they have no clue what it is as we are a minority.

jaabaar Fri 14-Jun-13 14:01:11

Where in Switzerland have u been? smile

Ragusa Fri 14-Jun-13 15:15:49

Aha, well, I have been to Graubuenden a lot - specifically Klosters and Davos. Heard Romansch around and about. Don't understand any of it though!

mignonette Fri 14-Jun-13 15:23:08

Write down a chronological list of everything that happened, when it happened, what you saw, heard and what actions were taken and by whom.

You will need this if you request a meeting with her surgical team or via PALS. It will help you organise your own thoughts and raise concerns in a calm and objective manner. Write down where you think their summary is wrong and what is wrong about it.

Yes, the notes need to be correct but sadly a great many medical/nursing notes are not.

jaabaar Fri 14-Jun-13 18:10:29

Thank you mignonette. That is what I did as sometimes in hindsight one can remember distorted facts. Hospital told me to call today if I didn't hear from them, so I did. Doctor told me a revised letter is in the post. I'm going to wait and see. Thank you for your advice.

Ragusa I am from graubunden! I'm from the first village on the river Rhein called Sedrun! It is a slice of heaven on earth! Hope you enjoyed your stay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now