Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Experiences please of tonsillectomy in young children...should we go for it?

(56 Posts)
bootus Thu 17-Jan-13 15:31:36

DS 4 has suffered for the past 2 winters with reccuring tonsilitis. When he isn't having an attack his tonsils are very enlarged and he snores terribly.

Last spring we were referred to ENT, we saw the consultant in May who basically took one look and told us he can go on the waiting list immediately. We asked him the probability of DS growing out of it and he said 50/50. We asked to be deferred until after the summer to see how he was. He had one mild attack over the summer but was generally quite well even though they remained enlarged. We saw the consultant again in October and when we asked if we could again defer and see how the winter went he discharged us but told us to be re-referred at any time and he would 'have them out'.

Anyway, DS has just had another terrible attack and as always happens his eating becomes awful for several weeks after, watching him chew and swallow is, for want of another word, painful!!! He has lost weight. We see this pattern after every bout. The snoring is just as bad, if not worse. We are seeing the gp next week to discuss a re-referral but if we do see ENT again we cant waste their time and will be put on the waiting list. We have had so much conflicting advice; some saying its the best thing they did for their children, others saying we should hold tight and wait and I'm worried about putting him through an operation/under anaesthetic/recovery unless its absolutely necessary, equally I dont want these bouts that floor him to affect his schooling when he starts rec next year. Any advice/experiences appreciated.Thankyou

alibobins Thu 14-Feb-13 10:27:09

On the plus side the snoring gasping and gagging have stopped his sats were stable so in terms of his breathing I can see the plus side already.

itsallinmyhead Thu 14-Feb-13 10:40:15

My DD, now 14, had her tonsils removed at age 3.

I expected it to be a really teary, painful recovery, especially as she was so small. I couldn't have been more wrong!

She was up and about and eating within hours of the procedure.

It was a massive success; DD's snoring stopped, she was better rested due to better sleep & she has rarely been poorly with colds, viral infections etc.

HTH

Missymoomum Thu 14-Feb-13 15:13:24

Sorry to hear your ds is struggling post op. I feel really bad now being one of the ones telling you that he would be fine! I'm sure once they've got on top of his pain relief he'll come on leaps and bounds. Make sure he gets his meds on time if you're still in hospital, on a busy ward that's not always achieved (i should know as I'm a nurse!) so nag if you have to wink. Also this is a perfect time to let him have as much ice cream etc as he wants this should hopefully encourage him to move on to other foods. I explained to my dd that she would have to have quite soft foods at first and reassured her they would be ok and that helped, although don't do as I did and about 10 days post op I gave her some orange juice which she had actually had had from day 1 post op without me thinking and she must have had a raw spot in her throat and when she drank it the poor girl was crying with pain because it was stinging so much shock. Hope u get him home soon and try not to worry about stating another night we stayed 2 nights with dd.

alibobins Thu 14-Feb-13 22:30:44

Sorry about the hmm faces it was meant to be sad
Ds2 is still in hopefully home tomorrow.

alibobins Sat 16-Feb-13 13:43:06

We are home and the difference in him is amazing he is eating well and playing smile
We are staying on top of pain medicine but think the worse is over.

Suzannesee Sat 16-Feb-13 14:41:37

The longer you wait the worse this operation is for them.

My brother developed terrible bouts of tonsillitis over two winters in the early eighties. He was a bright boy but missed lots of schooling as a consequence.

'Not enough' was the opinion of the NHS consultant to whom he was referred. The sympathetic GP then sighed and told my parents; "You won't get anywhere with this problem on the NHS these days." She suggested they go private. They did and the consultant prefaced his examination by warning my parents that even he wouldn't take tonsils out unless really necessary - he had better more life-threatening ailments which required his skills.

He then took one look at my brother and immediately said; "This boy needs his tonsils out right away!"

And so he did. My brother, who was twelve, had a tough time post op. He haemorrhaged a week later and for a second time a week after that and needed a blood transfusion. It was scary, but he recovered, never looked back, and grew big and strong, healthy guy he is today.

The good thing is you are being offered the operation on the NHS. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now