Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS still asleep, what to do?

(949 Posts)

DS is 15 months, been generally a bit grumpy for a week. Last night he was especially grumpy so calpol'ed him at put him to bed, he had a slight temperature. He hasnt woken since.

Waiting for an "urgent" call from GP nurse which will be this afternoon or possibly this evening.

Nothing specific, slight temp, was occasionally pulling at ears, decreased appetite. But he's completely un rousable, changed nappy with DD1 and 2 in the room jumping about and he just slept. He obviously is responsive because I've got a few oz of water into him and nurophen in him. But I cant wake him any more than that. So he's been asleep for 17 hours looks poorly but not collapsed. Occasional small cry but by the time I've got to his door he's asleep again.

So MNers should I call the GPs again, NHS direct or am I just wittling about nothing and let him sleep it off. DD2 has complex medical needs and I'm always on the ball with her getting her seen as appropriate. But a normal "abit unwell and sleeping child" has completely thrown me.

I personally would not wait for the gp to maybe see you at some point when they feel like it.

Have you managed to rouse him?

weegiemum Wed 02-Jan-13 13:53:23

Just spoke to my dh who is a GP (on call for emergencies today, Scotland has a ph on 2nd Jan).

He says call 999 and do it now. An unrousable child is a medical emergency, so please get him to hospital ASAP.

Fairylea Wed 02-Jan-13 13:53:57

999 ! Definitely !

UC Wed 02-Jan-13 13:54:36

If your DS cannot be roused, then CALL AN AMBULANCE!!! They will ask you questions, and if they think you need a&e, they will send an ambulance. Don't hang about waiting for trains!

Ok completely stripped off, shaking, proding hasnt worked ambulance has been called, on their way. They suggested taking him outside with just his nappy and he won't wake so will be taking us to hospital.

insancerre Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:01

Hope you are ringing an ambulance.
Hope hs is ok

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:14

Oh CP - I hope he is alright. You've done the right thing. Hopefully he'll wake soon

Sirzy Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:22

Good

Hope all is ok

LadyGago Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:23

I hope he is ok OP.

frazzled123 Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:23

Hope all ok x

insancerre Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:44

sorry xpost
fingers crossed for you

Sugarice Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:47

Hope everything is ok sad.

You've done the right thing.

ChristabelChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 13:58:16

Thinking of you x

gymboywalton Wed 02-Jan-13 13:58:29

glad to hear they are on their way- good luck-hope all is ok

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 02-Jan-13 13:58:58

Good luck, hope he's ok.

fatcuntroller Wed 02-Jan-13 13:58:59

You've definitely done the right thing. I hope he's ok. Please come back and update when you can...will be thinking of you.

Fairylea Wed 02-Jan-13 13:59:07

How worrying for you sad

Will be thinking of your poor little one. Let us know how you get on x

usualsuspect3 Wed 02-Jan-13 13:59:30

Hope he's ok.

You have done the right thing.

Hope he is ok.

KateUnrulyBush Wed 02-Jan-13 13:59:57

Keeping fingers crossed he is probably just sleeping off a virus. Glad 999 are on their way. You've done the right thing.

I was going to suggest taking him outside, glad to hear you have medical assistance coming.
I hope he's ok OP.

cafecito Wed 02-Jan-13 14:00:31

you've absolutely done the right thing CP

Banderchang Wed 02-Jan-13 14:01:10

Hope he's ok, you've done the right thing.

Glad they're coming. Have you got someone who can keep an eye on the other two for you?

GinGirl Wed 02-Jan-13 14:03:16

Well done, know making the decision to call is sometimes the hardest bit. You just don't want to admit that they might be that unwell.
I would have done the same had it been my 19 month old, and 15 months is a lot younger than that really.
Hope it passes as 'just a virus', take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now