Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(843 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

lollipoppi Fri 10-May-13 16:43:34

DS is on the same, not sure how old they can be before it can be increased again. I think the seritide has made a massive improvement though x

Sirzy Fri 10-May-13 16:46:03

As it isn't licenced for under 4s I guess its a while before it should go up!

Sirzy Fri 10-May-13 16:48:51

Just found the information leaflet online and apparently that is the highest dose for under 12s.

lollipoppi Fri 10-May-13 16:51:43

Jeez!!
Poor boys being in such a high dose medicine at their age, makes me sad, but it's necessary

Badvoc Fri 10-May-13 20:34:34

Well, ds2 has come home from pils and been sick sad
Sigh.
Don't think its asthma related as he wasnt coughing prior.

lollipoppi Fri 10-May-13 21:58:28

If they're anything like my pils then its because they have stuffed him with sugary drinks and chocolate biscuits smile

Badvoc Sat 11-May-13 12:56:27

smile
Could be lollipop...could be.
He seems fine this morning, fingers crossed d

Hello all hope we r doing ok.

Ds been doing better but seems to have got worse in the last 3 or so days. Still running around like a loon and eating ok but very wheezy and coughy. In two minds about what to do ... Do I ride it out or go to OOH.
He is sleeping ok ish thankfully

Badvoc Tue 14-May-13 08:06:36

Hi.
Am taking ds2 back to docs this morning - other reason but am going to ask them to listen to his chest too.
Still coughing since his cold

Sirzy Tue 14-May-13 18:14:53

How are they both doing tonight?

DS has just had a big attack and is now sleeping so hoping it was a one off!

Badvoc Tue 14-May-13 18:18:17

Oh no sad
Ds2 is ok apart from a haematoma in his cheek from falling and bashing it 2 weeks ago sad

Sirzy Tue 14-May-13 18:24:27

I saw your other thread last night, do they think it will go on its own?

Badvoc Tue 14-May-13 18:28:51

Well, that's what he said, but he has rang me this afternoon and said he wants to see him again next week.
He has been speaking to the. On Call max fax at our local hospital and apparently sometimes you can get an infection in the haematoma sad
Just feel terrible sad

We r back in hospital. Viral cough/bronchillotus. No oxygen yet and hopefully getting home 2night but don't know x

Sirzy Tue 14-May-13 20:01:49

hope he is home soon Lara

Badvoc Tue 14-May-13 21:00:39

Sorry to hear that.
Hope he is home soon

Hey

We got home around ten with some antib's.
Chest x ray was clear, no wheeze, just a horrible cough?!!

No insight from the doctors at all.

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 07:56:28

Pounds very familiar Lara sad

Sirzy Wed 15-May-13 08:04:28

Hope he feels better soon.

Have they given him a preventer to use all the time yet? Asthma doesn't always have a wheeze but some medics seem to forget that'

Hi

We did have the brown preventative inhaler then last time he was in hospital with a virus they told us to stop it and would review again in August.

We were in hosp 9 hours yesterday and he wasn't given a reliever inhaler and we were not told to give him when home .. So confusing
Arrggghhh.

They did say Though they felt their could be enough evidence to refer for allergy testing.

Sirzy Wed 15-May-13 09:00:21

Can you bring the appointment in august forward?

Yes I am going to try! He has his CF test appointment tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is not that. They do think it's unlikely as he has no other signs, and they just want to rule out, but I am so worried about it. sad

How is your boy doing?

gussiegrips Wed 15-May-13 13:02:48

Hi guys

Quick update:

council have backtracked - so, no kids will be moved next year. Turns out there's a bit of a loophole in the legislation, so questions to be raised in parliament to establish what the policies actually are so my footstamping was justified

Anyone else got a kid with brittle/severe and difficult asthma?

Wheezy breeks is now off his steroids - since September he's had fluctuating courses of 40mg pred on reducing doses, but, only actually been off for a couple of weeks before having another crisis and going back on them.

His peak flow's usually about 150-170 (he's 7) and I know that once it's 120 we have another crisis within a week.

It's now 100. Been dropping for the last 2 weeks as the steroids are weaned again

He's ok in himself, apart from norovirus, but, i'm worried that another admission would mean moving onto whatever the next stage of treatment is.

Anyone familiar with something that's a jag every month or so? Something which makes the inflammatory markers clump together? Wasn't really processing what they were telling me, and I'm hoping it's not needed, but, really, it probably is.

Hey ho.

Hope you all are getting some rest. It's a bugger, this wheeze business.

Just an update. Antibiotics seem to have worked wonders. Still got an occasional cough and a bit 'breathy'but it's not bothering him at all so far today. Slept 12 hours solid last night as well.

CF test today.

Hope everyone is ok!

Results back- no cystic fibrosis! Yay smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now