Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Joe vs. The Cancer

(1000 Posts)
TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sat 08-Dec-12 23:26:34

My 3 year old DS, Joseph was diagnosed with the cancer Neuroblastoma in October.

Survival rates are approximately 1 in 3.

He's coming to the end of chemo and so far, chemo is kicking cancer's butt. 3 cheers.

Oh you poor things. That sounds like a dreadful night.

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 08:48:18

It's not been the worst, not by a long way grin DH always seems to get those!

dikkertjedap Wed 20-Feb-13 09:14:05

Poor Joe.

I hope today will be better.

Clara35 Wed 20-Feb-13 09:21:04

Hope joe starts to feel better today. Thinking of you & still splodging from Belfast smile

Hope today the tide starts to turn. Thinking of you all.

tangledupinpoo Wed 20-Feb-13 13:06:02

Poor wee boy, and poor you. Glad you both managed a bit of sleep. Very much hoping the worst is behind you and he starts to feel better from today. Thinking of you all lots.

toomuch2young Wed 20-Feb-13 13:18:33

Very much hoping better days are approaching.
Sending lots of positive and healing vibes for Joe.

upto11 Wed 20-Feb-13 16:47:27

Thinking of you all, and willing Joe on. Sending many, many positive vibes from Devon.

ShiftyFades Wed 20-Feb-13 19:04:20

Oh it sounds like a very eventful night sad
How has today been? Is Joe more comfortable?
Have you swapped with DH so you can see DD?

Thinking of you xx

tholeon Wed 20-Feb-13 20:01:22

Splodges for more rest for you all, and the beginning of the upward curve xx

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 20-Feb-13 21:02:46

Poor little lad. Followed your story from day one. Hope he has a better day tomorrow. Thinking of you x

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 20-Feb-13 21:55:45

I hope today has shown some signs of improvement and that you all have settled nights tonight.
Xxx

thewhistler Wed 20-Feb-13 22:33:55

Poor sweetie, and poor you. At least you are in a place where there is an unlimited supply of clean sheets and you don't have to wash them, small mercies I know...

Hope tonight is better and tomorrow even better than that.

dikkertjedap Wed 20-Feb-13 22:42:21

I very much hope that Joe has been feeling a bit better today and that you will both get more rest and less disturbance tonight.

x

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 23:13:12

Today, Joe has been much the same. Maybe even worse in some views. He is tolerating his feed less and has had a fair amount of pain in his legs today. No one can work out why - he's been checked for DVT. At 3 years old, he doesn't know what cramp or pins and needles are, so it could just be that. We just don't know.

His morphine has been sorted out again so he's comfortable most of the time - until he needs a nappy change or he has to move.

He just lies still, eyes half-closed, sucking his thumb and cuddling his cuddly toy. There have been no smiles today.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring a slight improvement. Just the odd smile would be wonderful.

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 23:14:45

whistler I am extremely grateful for the fact that there are free plastic sheets I can put under his bum and, when they don't work, someone else changes the bed AND does the washing! Just another reason to love the NHS smile

thewhistler Wed 20-Feb-13 23:16:11

Oh Trazzle, I will pray for smiles and less pain tonight and tomorrow.

Thinking of you,

Splodging from S London.

dinkydoos Wed 20-Feb-13 23:21:28

Trazzle, have looked at this thread so very many times over the last few months.
Just want to reach out and give you all a hug, and I know there are so many lurkers like me who feel the same.
Like people have already said, each day Joe gets through like this, is one more done.
So many people that you aren't not even aware of are supporting you, JOe and family. Really hope tomorrow is a bit better.

barefootcook Wed 20-Feb-13 23:24:58

Hey Trazzle

The plastic sheeting is a small mercy- thank goodness. Are you able to hang things up (pictures etc) for Joe to look at or is that a hygiene issue? I am thinking of you guys a lot and hope you get a smile or chuckle soon.

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 23:26:53

The charity that provides play staff for the ward decorated his room with lots of pictures from his favourite shows. He also has his name up on the wall. It's wonderful. They are amazing.

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:02

The hygiene issue is actually not as big a deal as we had been led to believe. He's not allowed soft toys (apart from his favourite) but other than that we just have to keep stuff clean.

dikkertjedap Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:12

Oh Trazzle (((((hugs)))))

Hoping for a restful and pain free night for Joe and that tomorrow will be a better day.

Has he withdrawn in his own little world or would he listen to you telling a story/talking/singing? Poor poor boy. This may be the best way for him to cope with what he is going through, he may be feeling exhausted. Have the doctors told him, that it is bad now, but will get better, so he knows it is not going to stay like this forever and there is light at the end of the tunnel?

He will and can do it.

Hope the docs stay on top of pain relief, so there is no suffering which could be avoided in any way.

x

ninja Wed 20-Feb-13 23:38:20

I hope that you have a better night, I'll be thinking of you x

kohl Wed 20-Feb-13 23:41:47

Been lurking on your thread, but wanted to let you know there's someone else thinking of you all and willing Joe on. Praying for a smile or two tomorrow.X

Still here, still can't believe what you're going through. Pleased to hear that this is all exactly as expected.

This thread is not accepting new messages.