Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bugger - have been giving dd double recommended dose ibuprofen

(15 Posts)
Jojobells1986 Mon 10-Dec-12 02:26:47

I did that too a few months ago - I guess DS was 11 months. I only gave him one dose but queried why DH was seemingly only giving half a dose the next day! I'd just assumed it was the same as calpol! blush I've made a mental note to check medication doses before giving him anything in the future!

CoolaYuleA Mon 10-Dec-12 02:03:29

I did the same thing.

MegBusset Thu 06-Dec-12 22:52:16

Calpol have reduced their recommended dosage lately (I picked up a new bottle and was confused as I assumed they'd increased the strength but apparently not - pharmacist confirmed the medicine is the same strength).

DewDr0p Thu 06-Dec-12 22:48:05

Once when ds3 woke up crying (again) in the night I staggered out of bed and gave him some Neurofen, not realising that dh had done the same thing half an hour previously.... rang NHS Direct in a slight panic and they were very reassuring. Obv wouldn't recommend making a habit of it but it's way lower than what's considered an overdose.

1978andallthat Thu 06-Dec-12 22:45:34

Thanks she's much better now. I checked. No wonder am confused. Calprofen says 2.5ml and Orbis says 5ml, both three times a day and both 100mg/5ml

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Thu 06-Dec-12 22:25:34

they both seem to be 100mg/5ml

LakeFlyPie Thu 06-Dec-12 22:20:15

Are the mg per ml different for the different brands maybe?

Hope DD is feeling better OP

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Thu 06-Dec-12 22:17:25

calprofen and nurofen do differ on the dosages given on the pack. We get nurofen too (has higher dose on it)

1978andallthat Thu 06-Dec-12 22:16:01

Hmm my bottle of calpol branded ibuprofen says 2.5ml

DaveyStott Thu 06-Dec-12 18:32:57

I've just checked my bottle of nurofen & it says for children between 1 & 4, 5ml dose no more than 3 times in 24 hours?

DystopianReality Thu 06-Dec-12 18:26:44

You definitely won't have done any harm, she's just well analgesed.

1978andallthat Thu 06-Dec-12 18:24:45

I think they must have changed the dose. Am sure the old bottle we had said 5ml, especially if you think it did too. Hope all well now?

I also thought it was a 5ml dose shock and have been giving it to my 17 month old (alternately with paracetamol so I don't think I have given to much hopefully) I must have just assumed it was the same dose as calpol without thinking about it - it wouldn't have crossed my mind if you hadn't posted - thank you.

I hope your dd feels better soon, my ds has had the same symptoms and has tonsillitis and scarlet fever. He's had anti biotics and is loads better now. It's such a shame when they are poorly.

Not not for 2 doses. Hope she feels better soon

1978andallthat Thu 06-Dec-12 16:09:10

No wonder she slept through last night. She's nearly 2 and I thought dose was 5ml every 4-6 hours. Turns out it's 2.5ml. She had dose at 6 and dose at 11, for swollen throat/ tonsils/ glands (also has antibiotics from gp). I won't have done any damage will I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now