Are there any toddler books about a friendly ghost?

(19 Posts)
FloatingOnTheMed Thu 05-Oct-06 12:34:11

dd is 3.1. She is obsessed with friendly ghosts. She draws them all the time. I think it is very important to her that anything that is potentially scary or sad should have a smile! . A ghost was the first thing, ages ago, that she discovered she could draw . Any toddler books about friendly ghosts that she would love?

Marina Thu 05-Oct-06 12:37:12

Not sure if there are any picture books aimed at little toddlers but Casper the Friendly Ghost is the film that springs to mind, and I am sure it was based on a book.

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 05-Oct-06 12:53:36

oh yeah! forgot about casper!

Enid Thu 05-Oct-06 12:54:35

funnybones is good

but skellies not ghosts

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 05-Oct-06 13:13:12

oh yes we've got that

FrankenZooey Thu 05-Oct-06 13:16:21

Goodbye Mog is a story about a pet cat who dies and watches her family as a ghost. It isn't the typical kind of ghost story but does show a benevolent ghost.

Am impressed at your dd being 3.1 and having been able to draw ghosts "ages ago"

bobsmum Thu 05-Oct-06 13:20:32

There's one in the current SeeSaw book club catalogue (ds gets it from nursery).

"Say Boo!"|by Lynda Graham-Barber. comes with 25 stickers.

"Ben's ghosty brothers and sisters can all shriek and howl "woo-hoo". But he can't even say "Boo!" and tonight is Halloween.. What's a little ghost to do?"

Sounds cute.

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 05-Oct-06 16:53:09

Thanks. F&Z dd loves the other Mog books but I haven't quite brought myself to get Goodbye Mog for her. Not sure about introducing her to death in that sense yet (ie someone she likes dying) - she knows ants/spiders etc die though!

Re drawing the ghosts she discovered she could do a big swirly line, put 2 eyes on (dots) & it looked like a ghost! It has now developed into a big oval sort of shape with stick arms & legs, a nose & smiley mouth. She also draws spiders (circles with stick legs sticking out all around, and of course these are smiling too!

I like the sound of Say Boo! will look for that in time for Halloween!

catsmother Thu 05-Oct-06 23:09:33

Og God, FZ, that reminds me ...... we bought "Goodbye Mog" a couple of Xmases ago for my SD and as I read it to her I snivelled and sobbed all the way through. (My excuse is that I used to have a cat called Mog - named after "Meg and Mog", not Judith Kerr's Mog - and that I'd read all the previous Mog books)

Harryc Wed 26-Sep-12 12:51:12

The Ghostly bear is a great new story in Friesops Fables http://friesopsfables.com/Index.htm

caffinequeen Wed 26-Sep-12 22:36:34

The Little Princess book 'I want my light on' features a little ghost who is scared of little girls.

elkiedee Sat 29-Sep-12 22:46:43

George and Ghost by Catriona Hoy is really sweet - I reviewed it a couple of years ago:

http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=George_and_Ghost_by_Catriona_Hoy_and_Cassia_Thomas

We should find our copy and see what they make of it now my then 3 year old is 5 and my then 21 month old is 3.5!

Wheelin Fri 09-Nov-12 18:14:16

Not quite a ghost - but sort of! When Darkness Slipped in by Ella Burfoot

exexpat Mon 12-Nov-12 01:37:20

The Ghost Library is brilliant - all about ghosts who love stories, and a little girl who ends up making friends with them.

pimskie Tue 20-Nov-12 16:44:26

My DS (5) brought home a book from school called George and the Ghost. It was about a boy with a ghost friend called George. Then he decides that ghosts can't be real and sets about proving so. the ghost leaves and he gets very sad and lonely and then the ghost returns and proves he does exist after all. Really sweet story, loved reading it to him.

elkiedee Thu 22-Nov-12 01:33:42

pimskie, that's the same lovely book that I mentioned a couple of posts up from yours.

dearth Thu 22-Nov-12 23:30:28
gingerchick Thu 22-Nov-12 23:32:05

Three little ghosties is a great book

farrowandballs Sun 25-Nov-12 23:41:23

Haunted House by Kazuno Kohara is brilliant and beautifully illustrated;

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now