Fairly urgent question about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

(16 Posts)
Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Fri 03-Jan-14 18:19:27

That's what DS said!

BabyMummy29 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:16:06

I just didn't get what was meant to be so great about this book. We were advised to read it for work purposes and it didn't do a lot for me.

Maybe I missed something?

Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:45

Great book. DS (13) recently read it. Unfortunately, he didn't get it at all.
I'll have to read it again and explain it, I think.

5HundredUsernamesLater Sat 21-Dec-13 05:29:22

Yes, truly awful news. It's lucky that not more people where hurt in a packed theatre although the ones that were wont be thinking it was in any way lucky. Wishing them all a speedy recovery.

Slimchance Fri 20-Dec-13 13:47:59

Thanks 5hundred

Awful news about the Apollo and the show sad

5HundredUsernamesLater Wed 18-Dec-13 00:08:44

Great choice of book. My tutor recommended it when I did an ASD Awareness course and I really enjoyed it.

Slimchance Tue 17-Dec-13 23:42:13

Thanks Trooperslane have e-mailed parents in advance to explain parcel contents!

Trooperslane Tue 17-Dec-13 18:53:32

Great book - charming, intelligent and very funny.

Second the check on swearing though - it is very much in context but depending on the child may be a bit much.

Slimchance Tue 17-Dec-13 18:50:57

Oh thanks for the warning strugglinginsilence. I don't think they'll mind if in context - niece's father (my brother) is a poet/art lecturer so they move in fairly broad-minded circles. But will alert them to it in advance!

strugglinginsilence Tue 17-Dec-13 18:18:19

Great book but how do her parents feel about swearing? Lots of fuck/fucking and cunt is use once. All in context but in school we have to get parental permission. Play is fab!

Slimchance Tue 17-Dec-13 15:58:31

That's reassuring to know - thanks MrsSteptoe! Always difficult buying for teenagers when you don't have one yourself ... .

MrsSteptoe Tue 17-Dec-13 15:47:21

Nice gift. Good choice. DS's tutor highly recommended the play as well, and I would trust her recommendations on all kinds of levels - dramatic, educational, general good taste! smile

Slimchance Tue 17-Dec-13 15:45:13

Thank you so much both of you!! Really appreciate the advice!

Very much looking forward to reading it myself now ... .

(Noted about theatre production too - which would be a good potential Aunt-niece outing.)

muttonjeffmum Tue 17-Dec-13 15:41:07

It is fine for a 13 year old - I think my son read it at about that age or younger. If she is a avid reader she will love it. Come to think of it my 12 year DD has already read it.

bigTillyMintspie Tue 17-Dec-13 15:39:59

It would be fine - mine both read it a bit younger and we went to see the West End production in the summer when DD was 13 and DS 12. All goodsmile

Slimchance Tue 17-Dec-13 15:38:11

... by Mark Haddon

Just packing up a last minute parcel to go to my 13 yr old niece in the UK. Would this book be suitable for her? Or is it too advanced? She's very intelligent and reads extensively. Bought myself a copy too and intended to read it before now but haven't had time!

I originally bought her The Endless Steppe by Ester Hautzig but I suddenly thought that that might be too undemanding (subject matter isn't of course).

Thanks for any advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now