Books for Reception Children Learning to Read

(11 Posts)
reallybusymummy Sat 21-Sep-13 19:57:08

Hello, from those who have gone before me, I'd love to get some books to support learning to read for my 4 year old who has started school this term.

I like the Songbirds books - mainly phonics based and often on offer at the book people. Your school though should be able to give you some too. Ours had two a week, which was enough for them, although ds is getting through three a day so I know that sometimes you do need to supplement. Also try ordering in from the library. Our investment with three children has been worth it but with fewer children or faster progression they would soon have been obsolete.

reallybusymummy Fri 18-Oct-13 11:43:17

Thank you so much and Bookpeople was a briliant idea too x

nkrazinski Fri 18-Oct-13 16:16:45

Our children 3, 5 & 7 use ReadingEggs. I've definitely noticed an increase in comprehension. I like that they make the games fun for kids to learn reading.

girliefriend Fri 18-Oct-13 16:25:22

My dd really liked the usborne phonetics book selection, will see if I can find a link.......

www.amazon.co.uk/Usborne-Phonics-Readers-39-92-Underpants/dp/B00ET8Y7VM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382109817&sr=8-3&keywords=usborne+phonics+set

Periwinkle007 Sun 20-Oct-13 21:55:50

songbirds are our favourite probably too

HoggleIsMyFriend Sun 20-Oct-13 22:05:13

I had a DD learning to read at the same time as a DS learning to speak. My DD got on so well reading the same books I was reading to DS. Nothing too long, lots of repetition and few words on the page.
That's not my ...
Spot
Dear Zoo

She is 5 and light years ahead of her peers.

MrsJamin Sun 20-Oct-13 22:11:52

Light years?! Pfb by any chance?

Op I would just go to the library and keep reading what your child is interested in and entertained by. If there are easy phonetically-predictable words then you could gradually see if your child could have a go. Trust your child's teacher to do the teaching and you can make sure he/she does the school books at home and then whatever is fun. Don't make it formal at home as they will get enough of that at school.

Elsiequadrille Sun 20-Oct-13 22:13:13

Big Cat Phonics

freetrait Tue 29-Oct-13 21:42:48

Keep trying different things and see what goes down well. Just visited our library and they have some new phonics books in so got them. Oh yes and picked up some red nose readers from the charity shop. All will be visited with a softly softly approach grin.

HoggleIsMyFriend Wed 30-Oct-13 12:59:18

Ooh harsh MrsJ. grin
Not PFB actually. Just talented in this area. Not all areas but this one yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now