Chapter books that your 6 yo enjoyed or that you enjoyed as a child?

(52 Posts)
Whipple Sun 30-Jun-13 18:26:07

DD1 (5yo) has enjoyed:

The owl who was afraid of the dark
Magic faraway tree etc
Mr Meddle
Amelia Jane
Dilly the Dinosaur
Teddy Robinson
My naughty little sister
Milly Molly Mandy
The Foxwood collection
Tales from Brambely hedge
Toys from Toyland
The giraffe and the pelly and me

She wants me to read Babe by DKS next, and then some of the Ronald Dahl books we have (the twits, Georges marvellous medicine)

I want to start buying more for Birthday and Christmas presents so would really appreciate any suggestions for a soon to be 6yo

thanks

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 02-Jul-13 20:08:17

Worst Witch series
Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones
Malory Towers
Ballet Shoes
Possibly the Hobbit
A Series of Unfortunate Events (when she's a wee bit older)

I tried Phantom Tollbooth on DD at that age but got nowhere - eventually succeeded at age 8

13 Clocks and the Wonderful O (James Thurber)

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 02-Jul-13 20:09:52

Oh and Bottersnikes and Gumbles is fantastic if you can find a copy.

TeamEdward Tue 02-Jul-13 20:11:28

Any of the Mr Gum books (starts with You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum)
Claude in the City

EduCated Tue 02-Jul-13 20:17:24

I loved and still do the Sophie series by Dick King-Smith. Actually he has a lot of nice stories for that age.

Takver Tue 02-Jul-13 21:06:21

The Anna Hibiscus series by Atinuke
Astrosaurs series and Cows in Action series by Steve Cole
And definitely, definitely Sophie!

Periwinkle007 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:40:22

my parents kept loads and loads of our old books and I know how lucky I am to have them to pass on to my daughters. Especially nice to have the ones that are now out of print. also nice to see my handwriting in the front when i have put my name in them!

vesela Thu 04-Jul-13 09:15:09

The Little Bookroom (Eleanor Farjeon) - a collection of stories rather than a chapter book, but DD loves it.

Morepeasplease Thu 04-Jul-13 21:05:01

The Iggy and Me books by Jenny Valentine are brilliant. A kind of up to date version of My Naughty Little Sister stories.

tunnocksteacake Thu 04-Jul-13 21:11:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornflakegirl Fri 05-Jul-13 12:43:16

I recently bought Emil and the Detectives for DS (well, for me really) after Michael Rosen was talking about it. Think it would be fine for a 6yo. It's a lovely story!

DalekInAFestiveJumper Fri 05-Jul-13 13:08:14

The Encyclopedia Brown books are fun, and The Boxcar Children. The Mouse and The Motorcycle, The Borrowers, Flat Stanley

Mr Majeika
Paddington Bear

fuzzpig Fri 05-Jul-13 16:05:20

We haven't read many yet, so far we've done:

George's Marvellous Medicine (an A4, colour illustrated copy - useful as a first transition from picture books!)
The cat who wanted to go home
The penguin who wanted to find out
A Bear Called Paddington (halfway through now)

All books I read myself as a child grin there's a distinct advantage to working in a library and getting to choose everything... I have loads more lined up in my mind that I am desperate to share with her, but it will depend on what DD enjoys as we try things of course. Much as I'd love to force her to sit through every Famous Five no matter what grin

fuzzpig Fri 05-Jul-13 16:10:28

Glad to see The Phantom Tollbooth mentioned. I remember this being read to us at infant school, and when I was ten I was in a local amateur theatre production of it. I was the Spelling Bee and wore a fluffy costume. 16 years later I can still spell antidisestablishmentarianism in under 4 seconds because I had to do it in the show! Such great memories from that book smile

FCEK Fri 02-Aug-13 14:43:54

My dd likes Julia Donaldson, the magic finger, the enormous crocodile and Winnie the witch.

FCEK Fri 02-Aug-13 14:45:32

Have tried pippi long stocking and faraway tree but dd either isn't ready for them or they are a bit too old fashioned now

BlackeyedSusan Mon 05-Aug-13 23:08:10

dd enjoyed reading:
the worst witch books
Mr majeika (all 14)
diary of a killer cat
dragons of waywood crescent
silver street farm books
the boy with the magic numbers
the worry tree

oh and 42 of the sodding rainbow fairies.

how about poetry books? eg lets recycle grandad?

or non fiction?

BlackeyedSusan Mon 05-Aug-13 23:28:00
colditz Mon 05-Aug-13 23:28:40

AMELIA JANE

Don't forget to edit out the blatant racism though!

vwcampervanfan Mon 05-Aug-13 23:39:38

Can I hijack and ask when you started doing this and which ones you started with? DD is 5 in nov and starts school soon, she loves books.

vwcampervanfan Tue 06-Aug-13 20:52:38

Sorry for kill

vwcampervanfan Tue 06-Aug-13 20:53:19

Sorry for killing your thread OP blush

Foosyerdoos Tue 20-Aug-13 22:55:32

When I was little one of the first 'chapter' book I read was 'Olga da Polga' by Michael Bond.
I would also recomend 'king of the Copper Castle'

littlecrick Mon 02-Sep-13 11:18:46

My DCs really enjoyed the Amelia Jane books, when they were 5 and 6. They also enjoyed Milly Molly Mandy and those Rainbow Fairy books which I hated, but they zipped through them.

littlecrick Mon 02-Sep-13 11:19:54

Just remembered they loved the Worst Witch books as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now