Humour for a 12 year old

(12 Posts)
goingtobefree Wed 05-Jun-13 09:30:04

Thanks Louise, we have read Molesworth-one of our favourite books.
She has read some J and V -may be I can suggest it to her.
Not heard of Meg Cabot..she is not in to romance,more of scifi books

Louise1956 Wed 05-Jun-13 08:24:33

when my no.2 son was twelve, he enjoyed the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer, which have a lot of humour in them.

When I was twelve, I found Molesworth, by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle, absolutely hilarious.

She might enjoy P.G. wodehouse perhaps, the Jeeves and Wooster stories are very funny, The Code of the Woosters is my personal favourite, there are many others.

I also began reading Georgette Heyer at that age, period romances with a lot of humour in them. The Talisman Ring is one of my favourites.

A contemporary author whose books have a lot of humour in them is Meg Cabot, her Princess Diaries series is very amusing.

goingtobefree Tue 04-Jun-13 07:49:00

She has read Hitch hikers guide to galaxy and my family and other animals.
She has not read their sequels though

Startail Sun 02-Jun-13 00:55:33

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy is brilliant, if you have the right warped mind.

Startail Sun 02-Jun-13 00:54:32

Percy Jackson, serious in parts, but very vertfunny in others. The chapter headings are LOL.

The Myth Inc series is amusing, by Robert Asprin, or the Stainless Steel Rat or Bil the Galactic Hero series' by Harry Harrison.
My Family and Other Animals has two sequels - Birds, Beasts, and Relatives, and Garden of the Gods, which are just as funny and enjoyable as the first one.

goingtobefree Sat 01-Jun-13 08:14:08

Thanks for your ideas, she is reading a graphic novel now before starting the last of chaos walking books.

Cider with Rosie (Laurie Lee) has some comic moments as well as some serious ones. Read it myself about that age.

booksteensandmagazines Thu 30-May-13 18:54:36

I've found some lighter reading - though not necessarily laughter filled:

Girl Missing by Sophie McKenzie
Ink heart by Cornelia Funke
Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater

There are more books reviewed on my website which is aimed at teenagers (no cost - it's a review website inspired by my love of books) www.booksteensandmagazines.com

goingtobefree Wed 29-May-13 22:58:17

She tried wee free men but did not like it, will try wyrd sisters. She has read My family and other animals.

ninjasquirrel Wed 29-May-13 22:55:34

Terry Pratchett? Wyrd Sisters is a good one to start with. I loved My Family and Other Animals at that age, which is very feel good.

goingtobefree Wed 29-May-13 22:47:33

Dd has been reading hunger games, twilight, chaos walking trilogy reading.
Could do with some light reading. Need some recommendations please.
She wants to read Dracula by bram stoker, but could do with some light reading before that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now