I've written a child aimed story...and I don't know how to get it out there?

(8 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sat 11-May-13 00:42:00

I have written two now, and they're more poems than anything (they rhyme) that tell a story,, but they're about animals and friendship and have a lesson in them (not a preachy lesson, just gentle...its nice to have friends kind of things).

Would anybody be interested in reading it? I would love to have illustrations with it but I work full time and just don;t have the time to be that creative.

But honestly this is what I love to do. Write. So how do I get it out there?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 11-May-13 00:48:21

I'd be happy to read it...this is a good place to start with regards to getting it out there as you'll get some honest feedback. I'm in the "trade" and wouldn't mind helping you out as I will do anything to avoid current task because I'm nice. smile

HoveringKestrel Sat 11-May-13 00:55:27

that would be excellent. I've inboxed you smile

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 11-May-13 01:04:16

I've sent a reply Kestrel. smile

Periwinkle007 Sat 11-May-13 19:56:01

I am no expert but I love kids books etc so happy to read something if you want me to.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sat 11-May-13 20:14:38

Feel free to PM me with details, would be happy to help a fellow writer smile

Theselittlelightsofmine Sat 11-May-13 20:14:47

Feel free to PM me with details, would be happy to help a fellow writer smile

schmalex Thu 06-Jun-13 06:38:53

Hi Kestrel. You don't need to illustrate it. A publisher will take on a picture book text and find an illustrator. I have a picture book coming out next year and I can't draw to save my life (luckily my illustrator can).

There are quite specific ways you need to format a manuscript so I would recommend taking a class or reading around the subject.

I'd really recommend this book for learning the craft of writing picture books:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1582975566

Or join the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI) for lots of support and industry contacts.

Or PM me if you'd like me to have a read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now