What would be a good story cd for long journey with 4 and 6 year olds

(20 Posts)
Thewhingingdefective Mon 25-Feb-13 21:23:41

Roald Dahl - The Magic Finger, The Twits, The Enormous Crocodile.

Harry and His Bucketful of Dinosaurs

Mr Gum

The Magic Faraway Tree

Milly Molly Mandy

Charlie and Lola

dikkertjedap Wed 20-Feb-13 22:06:14

Winnie the Witch, Tiddler

Waswondering Tue 19-Feb-13 21:51:08

YY to Five Children and It. We love that too. Lovely. The language is rich and it's such a lovely story.

thewhistler Mon 18-Feb-13 20:31:33

Abbeville

thewhistler Mon 18-Feb-13 20:30:57

Horrid Henry. Lasted us from abeville to London after DH had to be left in hospital and Ds had to deal with all the French tolls.

wearymum200 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:11:17

The penguin who wanted to find out; just so stories, winnie the pooh

BabyRoger Mon 18-Feb-13 19:38:16

I second wind in the willows. Dd loves it.

seeker Mon 18-Feb-13 19:35:52

I'm really excited about you getting How to Train your Drqgon I do so hope you like it! We still listen to it sometimes on long journeys and mine are 11 and 17.

alittleteapot Mon 18-Feb-13 17:17:50

Thanks all, have ordered five children and it, and how to train a dragon. should have gone to library but no time!

Bimblepops Sun 17-Feb-13 22:14:22

Another vote for Cressida Cowell's Dragon books. Have just done the Pirate one with my 2 and 4 year old DS's and they loved it (think most of it went way over DS2's head, but he was happy!).

Waswondering Sun 17-Feb-13 22:13:15

My naughty little sister
Enid Blyton school stories.

Have fun!

nagynolonger Sun 17-Feb-13 22:11:19

Wind in the willows

cmt1375 Sun 17-Feb-13 22:06:37

Spy Dog
Just William

Go to your library and borrow some, then if you don't like them you have lost nothing.

Takver Sun 17-Feb-13 22:05:22

Just remembered Astrosaurs (came as a book/cd set) and Milly Molly Mandy (ditto)

Takver Sun 17-Feb-13 22:04:11

We do a lot of long train journeys so are big on audiobooks - at around that age dd liked:

Famous Five
Secret Seven
Naughtiest Girl in the School
various Narnia books
The Wizard of Oz

nooka Sun 17-Feb-13 18:00:45

We've all loved Paddington (the Stephen Fry version). Also Winnie the Poo (there are a couple of dramatised versions which are good).

We found that the Owl who was afraid of the dark got very irritating after a while (for dh and me that is).

We've also had My Naughty Little Sister, Narnia, Tom Sawyer, Francesca Simon, Just So Stories, and a few CDs of myths and legends (King Arthur, Greek, Irish etc)

seeker Sun 17-Feb-13 17:54:36

Cressida Cowell's dragon books. Honestly, best audio books ever. Read by David Tennant. Funny for everyone- including the grown ups.

alittleteapot Sun 17-Feb-13 17:52:24

Thank you - we've read and loved the Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark. The 4 year old is sort of happy to listen to stuff he doesn't fully understand yet - so if I pitch it lower end of 6 he should be ok. I've never read five children and it. Will check it out. Thought Alice might be a bit far out.

CMOTDibbler Sun 17-Feb-13 17:47:42

Paddington has been v popular here, also 5 children and It, Arthurian legends, the younger Terry Pratchetts, the Hobbit, the Owl who was afraid of the dark, and just recently (ds is 6.7) the first Harry Potter.

I wouldn't have thought Alice for a 4 year old tbh

alittleteapot Sun 17-Feb-13 17:40:57

I'm thinking something like Alice in Wonderland or something long and quite involved. Alice may be a bit complicated and old - can't remember. Not Roald Dahl as we find him a little dark.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now