Fairy Tales Book

(12 Posts)
lydiasays Tue 26-Feb-13 09:47:05

Scott Gustafson's Classic Fairy Tales has some incredible painted illustrations. It's worth a look just for the artwork by itself.

RosieMBanks Thu 07-Feb-13 14:26:43

The Book People have this set of 20 Usborne classic stories. link
This is a wonderful collection, but for slightly older children.
link

Takver Sat 26-Jan-13 09:31:06

You need the Helen Oxenbury Nursery Collection, its showing for mad prices on Amazon but you can get it for a couple of quid via abebooks

summerglory Sat 26-Jan-13 06:55:33

My dd got given a fairy tale storybook from m&s great traditional stories in it def recommend

ctrlaltdel Sat 26-Jan-13 06:51:10

The individual ones from M&S are pretty good and without any gorey details!

I was going to suggest Usbourne too. DD got a nice one for christmas.

lolalotta Sat 26-Jan-13 06:37:52

Usbourne do a nice collection of fairy tales...

sleepywombat Sat 26-Jan-13 05:03:58

Thank you Lavenderhoney, I usually get from book depository, so will see if they have the Puffin one.

Lavenderhoney Sat 26-Jan-13 04:54:22

Puffin do a compilation of fairly tales and nursery rhymes. Don't buy the Disney book abroad they have dreadful grammatical mistakes! You will find yourself stoping and thinking " what?"

I tell mine them from memory. And I buy Winnie the pooh etc from book depository as its free shipping abroad.

sleepywombat Sat 26-Jan-13 04:45:46

ooh thanks, I wonder if they ship internationally though...

Bearandcub Sat 26-Jan-13 04:35:10

You can still but Ladybird books from their website.

sleepywombat Sat 26-Jan-13 04:30:08

I thought my almost 3 yo ds ought to know the most famous fairy tales (Goldilocks, Snow White etc), since they're always re-enacting them on Playschool and discussing them in Primary school.

Without thinking, I bought him a cheapish compilation from local supermarket. The versions of the stories are even more gruesome than usual. Yes, I know fairy tales aren't that nice - but this is ridiculous. The giant from Jack and The Beanstalk is pictured with a gun & Daddy Bear says the most horrible things! There is a lot of gory detail surrounding the killing, eating, cutting open etc of various characters. DS always asks me to read them & I find myself missing out chunks & making up alternative endings!

So, can anybody recommend me a fairly 'nice' book of fairy tales?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now