Books you loved as a child and hope your children will love too.

(308 Posts)
TheCortanaThatStoleChristmas Sun 16-Dec-12 20:31:01

Inspired by another thread. grin

I remember buying Dogger don't laugh at the title it's a lovely book! and All In One Piece before DS was born as I wanted to pass on the joy these books brought me.

He has recently read The Hobbit; Swallows and Amazons; The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; Treasure Island and Charlotte's Web. Books that made my childhood.

I hope he will soon find and enjoy the LOTR books, Hitchhikers Guide, Little Women, and Goodnight Mr Tom.

I feel real excitement at the thought of my DS reading lovely books and enjoying them the way I did. Got me wondering what I might have missed though, are there other books that are wonderful for children and deserve to go on a "Books Every Child Should Read" list?

What were your favorite childhood books, and will you buy/pass them on for your children?

onesmallkayak Fri 21-Dec-12 12:17:33

No-one's mentioned The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald.

Also a Book of Princesses ed by Johnson 1965 which has stories by giants such as Oscar Wilde, E.Nesbit etc etc. I didn't notice the authors when I was a child but their stories resonate still. In fact I can't find our copy. My daughter has left it somewhere yet again.

Cynthia Harnett's The Woolpack - great historical stuff.

And I inherited Violet Needham books from my mother which I loved, although she put some pretty dodgy of-their-time ideas into a few of her stories.

gotthemoononastick Fri 21-Dec-12 12:44:43

I am not a child -oldish- and have had these read to me recently by a young man,who enjoyed them as much as I did.We read them slowly and sparingly.Wonderful! Trilogy by Steve Augarde...The Various, Celandine,and Winter Wood.

gotthemoononastick Fri 21-Dec-12 12:52:35

Also ,almost compulsary for little ones...The Giving Tree.

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Dec-12 19:02:24

ooh remembered another one
The summer of my german soldier by bette someone
Am going to move this thread to books so it doesn't get lost forever.
Happy Christmas one and all.

miffybun73 Fri 21-Dec-12 20:51:02

Off the top of my head, The Tiger Who Came to Tea, Richard Scarry, Dogger, Miss Jaster's Garden, Mallory Towers, St. Claire's and Trebizon (?) When older, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights. Also anyone remember Mr A.Mazing Monster books http://www.amazingmonsters.com/a_mazing/ I loved them.

TheCortanaThatStoleChristmas Fri 21-Dec-12 20:56:10

Happy Christmas Olivia, and everyone.

I am overjoyed at this thread. I have remembered so many books I had read and loved as a child but had forgotten the names of. Glad this is now in books, I plan on scouring charity shops and amazon for the next 12 months, make DS's little library something special.

Sticklebug Fri 21-Dec-12 21:05:29

The talking Parcel by Gerald Durrell and all of the above. My DS is currently reading 'The Growing Summer' by Noel Streatfield and is absolutely hooked - not sure that I will convince him to read 'ballet shoes' though!

Devora Fri 21-Dec-12 22:06:06

The Summer of my German Soldier! That made me cry till I was sick, when I was 12 and all lovelorn with nobody yet to love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now