Bird spotting book for 8 yr old?

(6 Posts)
Approximately Tue 20-Nov-12 11:11:53

I'm looking for a bird spotting book suitable for an 8 yr old. I think she basically wants to be able to identify birds that come into our garden. Any suggestions? I'm trying to order something online as I haven't got time to browse in the bookshop so I'd welcome some recommendations.

KatoPotato Tue 20-Nov-12 11:14:22

Take a look on the RSPB website, they have a fantastic online store with lots of unique things for little twitchers!

I did get a nice poster with british birds from one of those upright poster bins at the natural history museum for £1 which my DS loves rattling through.

There's also a number of free iphone apps, but not sure if this is relevant!

Takver Tue 20-Nov-12 13:01:22

50 Most Common Garden Birds sheet from the Field Studies Council. Fantastic for spotting birds in the garden - its a double fold out sheet & costs about £2.50 I think if you track down the FSCs own website.

Approximately Wed 21-Nov-12 22:16:15

Thank you both so much for your help. I particularly like the FSC sheet - it's fab!

Takver Thu 22-Nov-12 18:18:37

I would def. recommend it, even I can often figure out what birds are what from it, and I am completely clueless and also shortsighted grin

They do lots of those sheets, they're all pretty cool, I like the various 'trail' ones especially.

Takver Thu 22-Nov-12 18:19:05

Clueless as regards birds, that is, hopefully not in general!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now