This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

*****VERY UPSET CHILDMINDER HADLEIGH*****

(112 Posts)
lovingmumof1 Sun 01-Oct-06 21:17:25

I have been childminding for just over a year now and haven't had the best of starts, I have been told on a number of occassions by my colleagues that people have been telling friends not to use me as I have a dog. Now I think that is totally unfair towards me and the dog as this is my living and if these people came to see us they would realise he is not bad, OFSTED wouldn't have registered me if the dog was bad. I know with what has happened resently about dogs that may put people off, it would me, but how am I supposed to make a living as I love working with children and being at home with my DS. PLEASE COULD HADLEIGH PARENTS GIVE ME SOME INFO AS IT IS GETTING ME DOWN

UniS Tue 26-Feb-13 22:55:31

I chose not to use a CM who has 2 large dogs that my child is scared of when they are walked in the street. I do use a CM who owns one small dog. My child has not been scared of that dog BUT that dog is not loose in the house and the only contact mindees have with it is in the school hols when CM & mindees might go out to walk the dog.

Tau Sun 24-Feb-13 16:44:30

If my child was still young enough to go to a minder, I wouldn't choose one with a dog either. But I know a local childminder who has a dog and minds quite a few children - every parent makes their own choice.
I've worked as a childminder, and I once had a potential client who was horrified by our stick insects. Such things happen; there may also be parents who love the idea of their child being able to interact with a kind dog.

Borntobeamum Sun 24-Feb-13 16:35:43

Cm with Dog = no thanks.
I think you'll find that kiddies who are mauled by dogs are usually at their relatives house. Grannies dog who has always been really placid suddenly snaps back.
They are unpredictable and too much of a risk.
JMI.

momb Sat 23-Feb-13 21:13:14

My CM has a dog and it doesn't bother me. If you have a dog you need to accept that some poeple won't like it but for others it won't be an issue. It shoudl not affect your busioness overall; we all choose CMs with different criteria in mind.

SouthernPolish Sat 23-Feb-13 21:07:50

I am a CM with a dog and we keep her in our home like a normal family pet (I know of CMs who crate theirs all day). I have stairgates to separate her from kids when I need to, my home is clean and does not stink (I ask everyone constantly), I use a steam cleaner and keep the garden poop free and power washed.

But I accept that some people do not like or hate dogs, and that it does slightly narrow down my target market.

It is usually one of the first things I tell prospective parents and I have a big photo of all of us with dog on my website - deliberately to deter dog-haters from bothering to phone me.

So far I have had no problem finding Mindees and lovely Parents who either have dogs themselves, or grew up with dogs, or love dogs and don't have any themselves.

Maybe put up some cards/leaflets in dog friendly places? eg: pet shop notice board (worked for me!)

DIYapprentice Sat 23-Feb-13 21:03:04

A zombie thread that managed to get revived TWICE!!! grin

Lala29 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:17:38

I would love a childminder with a dog and find it incredibly sad that so many people are anti dogs or childcare with dogs.
My daughter is 16 months, her first word was our dog's name. She adores the dog and any other dogs she meets, even though most are far bigger than her. I absolutely love that. She is being taught how to be and interact with dogs, we always ask permission from owners to stroke, she is not under any circumstances allowed to bother the dog in her bed, etc. our dog is an old Staffordshire bull terrier by the way.

Of course you don't know the dog when you first visit the childminder, but neither do you know them! As a dog person, it's very quickly obvious how the dog is trained and what the general rule is in the house. I might hang around a bit longer, or ask to go for a walk with them and the dog to ensure that what they are saying is true, but that's not much more than I would do with any childminder.

It's precisely because children today grow up in sterile environments with no interaction with animals, parents afraid of a bit of dirt, that we have so many children with allergies. My house is cleaned thoroughly. Dog bedding regularly cleaned, rugs steam cleaned once a week and floors washed regularly and I have certainly seen CM with dirtier houses than mine.

Don't give up, OP, be proud of the fact you have a dog and make it your unique selling point!

RosieGirl Fri 22-Feb-13 08:54:06

Ha ha didn't see that

RustyBear Fri 22-Feb-13 08:44:54

This thread is six and a half years old, kingjam - I wonder if the OP is still (a) childminding and (b) on Mumsnet....

RosieGirl Fri 22-Feb-13 08:37:49

Bonkers!

if you choose not to choose a childminder for one reason or another, fine, visit make your decision and leave.

But STOP the paranoia. Take things at face value and stop prejudging. See what the individual minder has in place. We don't stop taking children in cars, although kids are regularly killed and injured, we minimise the risks, by having safer cars and cars seats. Others haven't immediately removed their kids from nursery after watching the awful programme the other night.

I obviously see it from a different perspective, living in the middle of nowhere, animals are the norm, nearly all of my families have them as well.

But I think most of the posters wouldn't touch me with a barge pole, as well as a small menagerie, I have an old thatched cottage, with stone floors, a filthy garden, the kids here haven't gone home clean for months. But I have never closed for any sickness, the kids are healthy and 2 outstandings from OFSTED, show they like it too. So cheers to the poster who said she is surprised OFSTED allow it at all. Welcome to the world which has more in it than humans.

ReetPetit Thu 21-Feb-13 22:11:53

lol grin

kingjam76 Thu 21-Feb-13 21:21:22

Looking for a childminder in Hadleigh. Do you have any vacancies?

new2cm Sun 09-Jan-11 17:59:06

I have cats.

When I asked for feedback from the 5 prospective parents as to why they did not chose my services, 3 of them stated my cats, which is fair enough.

I love my cats but I accept that I will lose business because of them. As someone already said, that's life.

andrea315 Fri 07-Jan-11 23:08:25

Im i childminder with a dog and the parents and children love him he even got christmas presents off them all. One parent sent her children to me because i have a dog and her children were afraid of them and she wanted them to be around one so they wouldnt be , i can say that now they are the total opposite and are asking for a dog.
I wouldnt be without my dog he is a great friend to me and a great friend to the children,some people wouldnt send their children to a childminder with a dog but i can honestly say in 5 years i have only had one child that didnt start because i have a dog. oh and my midwife always told me that cats were worse for diseases !!

Sequins Fri 07-Jan-11 21:22:51

LOL wonder if OP is still checking this thread 4 1/2 yrs on and still has a dog? Hope your business has improved, if so!

Sequins Fri 07-Jan-11 21:21:21

Sorry, not read whole thread, but I wouldn't generally choose a childminder with a dog either. Having said that, lovingmumof1, your description of your setting sound fine, so maybe it is just a question of trying to get more people to actually come and meet you?

Nuttychicken Fri 07-Jan-11 18:42:01

I'm not from Hadleigh either.

I have just changed to a new childminder and she has a dog. I have to say that, were my son a small baby I may have been more hesitant but I want my son to be around animals and actively encourage him to be confident around all animals. That said I did rule out one childminder with a snake...

You may find that it will put off some parents but others may not be bothered. If you are clear in your advertising that you have a dog but that your house is clean, that the dog's toilet area is separate to the children's garden area etc and that your dog is used to children and fully vaccinated, you'll hopefully meet like-minded parents.

Sorry you are not having much luck.

happychappy Wed 05-Jan-11 10:39:23

I was a childminder with a dog for a period. I never had any difficultly getting work. However as a parent I would want to meet the dog and see the pet policy and see how owner and dog interact before making a decision to leave my children with them.

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 10:04:38

OH LOL just seen how old this thread is. Why/how to people drag these things back up into active? It's confusing! grin

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 10:03:06

Haven't read the whole thread, but... I wouldn't use a cm with a dog. DS is 2. Some people wouldn't mind using a cm with a dog. But I would. Sorry.

Nothing against you or dogs and the dog could be the most gentle enjoyable dog in the world. I still wouldn't use a cm with a dog, though (even if s/he says it's kept locked up).

You'll have to accept that some parents will want to use a cm with a dog, some won't mind, and some won't want a cm with a dog.

It's a parent's choice whether or not they want an environment with a dog for their dc or not. Yes, valuable lessons in caring for a pet...etc... but still, some people (me included) will not want to place their dc with a cm with a dog.

UniS Wed 05-Jan-11 10:00:06

Dog would normally put me off as DS dislikes dogs. I have chosen not to look into using 2 local CMs who have/ had dogs and took dog in car with mindees or let dogs roam house with mindees.

BUT- his occasional ( afterschool and holidays) CM does have dog. Dog is kept in large cage in separate part of house when there are mindees there. Only taken for walks with mindees IF CMs teenage son is there to walk the dog. DS says he likes this dog, BUT he actually has practically no contact with it.

Imaminda Tue 04-Jan-11 22:22:54

Im a cm and I have a dog It has been trained to wear a basket muzzle whenever there are children here and although it is very friendly this safeguards me and the children, reassures the parents and means that the children can smooth it without fear. Its a rescue dog that is quite old now so most of the time it stays out of the way but when it needs to go out the garden etc its safe. The way we see it if it did bite a child it would be life changing for the child and life endng for the dog so the muzzle works fine and parents are reassured by it. The dog is muzzled before I open the door to the first mindee and it comes off when the last child leaves - its just a normal part of my routine here now just like hoovering before the crawling baby arrives

Isyhan Wed 18-Oct-06 19:59:46

Its interesting that a few months ago we had a thread on here about whether dogs put people off and I think I was one of the few people who said I wouldnt be happy to use a Cmder with a dog now suddenly because of the recent press everyone agrees. How fickle we are!! No seriously, my daughter wants a dog but because Ive started cmding I wont get one. Thats the reality of it Im afraid. However my cat did pee the OFSTED lady off I think by sitting on the table and staring at her!

HappyMumof2 Wed 18-Oct-06 19:31:53

Message withdrawn

flis Wed 18-Oct-06 18:44:04

Just to add, although I would chose a childminder for her and not the animal companions, I would think carefully before putting my dds with anyone who DIDN'T have some sort of pet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now