Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Do you have to pay your nanny if you go out at night?

(8 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:26:52

May I ask this question?

You have a lived-in nanny who works until 7pm, according to the contract.

So what if you want to go out at night, leaving your children to the nanny? In this case, do you have to pay the nanny, and what is the appropriate price?

Thank you.

GoldiChops Mon 10-Feb-14 12:32:00

I've never come across a live in role that didn't include babysitting in the contract, usually two nights a week. Rare that a family actually uses both every week but it's there as a just in case.

Cindy34 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:48:46

Yes, if there is no provision for a certain amount of babysitting in the contract. Agree a babysitting rate, depending on your area it could be 8-12 an hour.

Fiona2011231 Mon 10-Feb-14 13:35:09

@GoldiChops: Could you pls explain further about the babysitting in the contract? We're going to have a lived-in nanny but there are many things we don't know about.

We put the contract as from 7am to 7pm. So is it still legal to ask for the babysitting in the evening after 7pm?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Feb-14 13:41:52

most live in nannies have 2 nights not fri/sat in contract as babysitting - often are set days so that nanny can arrange to see friend/go to gym etc on say mon/wed night and bs tue/thur, if family need her to

this is set in her salary as a live in nanny

NomDeClavier Mon 10-Feb-14 13:44:39

You put in the contract 7am to 7pm plus 1 evening babysitting Monday-Thursday. If you don't have that or if you need more you pay overtime.

GoldiChops Mon 10-Feb-14 20:22:58

Exactly as others have said, all of my live-in contracts have stated the hours eg 7am to 7pm plus 1/2 nights babysitting. I've never had the not Saturday or Friday or anything but then most live-in jobs I had worked weekends and had weekdays off. I know someone who had a set night when boss went to an evening class so knew every Wednesday was babysitting. But mostly it's just there, and I've often found the parents say informally that they contracted babysitting isn't always used.

I actually have the same now as a live-out nanny, my salary is a gross yearly amount and contracted hours are 7.30-7.30 plus 1/2 nights babysitting, which is usually used when bosses are late back.

my2bundles Mon 17-Feb-14 11:12:10

I worked as a live in nanny. i expected 1 eve a week written into my contract, al;l else had to be paid for. we are not live in scivvies we expect to be paid for the work we do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now