This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny and doc/hosp appts : pay?

(20 Posts)
pollyr01 Sun 02-Feb-14 19:39:23

Hi - I've got a quick question about this and I'm hoping someone can guide me on payment.
We've got a relatively new nanny and she texted me this afternoon saying she's going to have to leave tomorrow at 3pm (she usually works till 6pm) to go to an appt at hospital she's only just found out about. She won't be returning after the appt.
Slightly annoyed tbh about the lateness of the text - not to mention that she texted not called - but that's a different issue.
Anyway, she is on a contract and has paid holidays, but given she's leaving early do we have to pay her for this or can I subtract 3 hrs from her daily pay?

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 02-Feb-14 19:44:31

I'd be concerned. She only found out on a Sunday? And texted? Hmmmmmm.

pollyr01 Sun 02-Feb-14 19:50:44

I'm very concerned. She said she had only just got her post from her parents...but still she didn't call. That annoys me. And she's only with us for a day a week! Think I might have to start looking afresh...

ChocolateWombat Sun 02-Feb-14 19:55:32

I would pay her this once. I would also point out that you are relying on her and the amount of notice she gave is not adequate and you would expect X in future. If you feel you can, I would also ask if she is going to be reliable, because that is what you need.
I would give someone the benefit of the doubt once, but be aware that yes, sadly you might have to start looking.

TheGreatHunt Sun 02-Feb-14 19:57:31

I always pay my nanny if she has to leave early. It's swings and roundabouts - sometimes I'm late home for example.

is her contract based on an hourly rate with hours worked?

I would ask her to give you notice next time as it makes it difficult for you for work.

pollyr01 Sun 02-Feb-14 19:57:36

thanks ChocolateWombat. Happy to say all of that to her as there's no point silently fuming and then we know where we both stand. She was also meant to be babysitting tomo night so I've had to cancel that too...

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 02-Feb-14 20:10:29

Appointments are sent weeks in advance. I wouldn't pay her - it could set a precedent (not that is be looking to keep her long term).

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 02-Feb-14 20:11:27

I will add I would pay a reliable employee.

GoldiChops Sun 02-Feb-14 20:13:21

Well as a nanny- I would never call my boss unless complete emergency like the child is injured or something. A call is immediate, you would have to react strait away. A text is far less rude, you as boss can digest this news and decide how to react. But then I find calling people or being called quite rude, interrupting their or my day. A text is always preferred.

As to the appointment itself, very odd that she has informed you of this and not just asked. I always ask, never assume. And if it was this short notice I would be not going to the appointment. I have an appointment on Thursday, I'll have to take the youngest to which is not ideal but my boss prefers this to having to take the morning off or finding cover.

Cindy34 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:13:46

Why is her post going to her parents? That is an issue that your nanny must sort out. A scheduled hospital appointment rather than an emergency admission is something you and she should have known about a couple of weeks ago.

NannyK7H Sun 02-Feb-14 20:20:36

I agree with GoldiChops regarding texting - I always text so whatever I'm asking can be left until the parent is ready to read it. Like an email. She may have been aware of the time and thought that you might be giving the kids lunch or in the middle of play time - I can't bear being called and it interrupting my time with the children! So I wouldn't get too het up about that part.
However, she could have sent a grovelling text to explain what had happened and then asked if there was anyway she could go. Or maybe she could have arranged for the children to go to a friend for tea and then be back to pick them up later. She shouldn't have just text to tell you she's leaving early. Maybe set up a system for next time - less than a week's notice and pay will be deducted for example.

Karoleann Sun 02-Feb-14 21:20:54

Can you get back in time? I really wouldn't be happy about the short notice - has she been a nanny before?

I certainly wouldn't pay her, but you also need to make sure she knows its not acceptable to take leave at very short notice.

It did happen to us a few years ago, nanny mentioned that she had to go to doctors the next day and unfortunately I was working that day and had patients booked in and had to tell her she couldn't go.

Anyhow I would text back with something along the lines of. I hope everything's okay, but its very short notice. Let me know in the morning if you would like it unpaid or as holiday.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Sun 02-Feb-14 21:35:48

She should have phoned given the short notice. At the weekend I often don't pick up texts and with only a text the nanny would have no idea if it had been seen or not. Then she's looking at a situation where she's turning up in the morning and surprising the parents with the news. Text but offer to speak and if you don't hear you must try phoning. It does look like she knew you might be angry and avoided. Not sure I'd pay or not. Probably because I'm a bug if a soft touch. Or you could ask her to take paid leave....

FlorenceMattell Sun 02-Feb-14 22:49:43

Another nanny here. I think it is rather rude of her to give you such short notice. I would try to change the appointment rather than let a parent down. I would not expect to be paid.
Re the texting; I agree with other posters. I would not interrupt a bosses Sunday afternoon unless it was essential, a text allows the recipient to deal with it when it suits them. But as she is giving less than 24 hours notice of her appointment and you need to arrange other childcare she should have rang you.
I would be very unhappy with this as an employer.

mrswishywashy Mon 03-Feb-14 12:18:48

How long has she been with you as if quite a few months I'd be more lenient with allowing the time off and paying for the time. If she has not been there long then I'd explain that you need her to be reliable and therefor you will only pay her for time off at short notice this once. I'd also maybe include in your contract that time off can only be taken with one weeks notice although if this is a pregnancy related appt I don't think you can do this.

As for texting I now always text my clients regarding change of information as it gives me a back up that the information has been received. I text and if I haven't heard in a couple of hours a reply then I will miss call and then if needed leave an answer machine message.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 03-Feb-14 12:44:13

normally would send a text if not important/essential,plus as others said they can read/digest info before replying

but this is important so i would have rang you - i would have also tried to arrange playdates (age depending) or possibly taken child with me (again depending what app was for)

again i would have asked rather then told

seems very weird that she only picked up post/app yesterday and part of me would want to see proof of letter (just letterhead, not info of what app is for as thats personal)

why is post going to her parents and not hers?

but yes i would pay her this time

Seb101 Mon 03-Feb-14 18:07:28

Just giving another perspective. I'm a nanny and an having fertility treatment. My appointments are often very short notice. Can be the next day for instance. So I wouldn't be too upset about short notice; she may be genuine. My employers don't know the reason for my appointments yet, but I will tell them if they consistently cause me to be unavailable to work. I would def pay her. If this becomes regular I'd ask her about it, and there may be a reasonable explanation. Personally I will take my charge to some appointments if its just a quick blood test for example. But other appointments I would need time off. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt at this stage.
With regards to texting; I always text. That's just my way. And I'd prefer texting. If you'd prefer her to call, then just say. I won't say it was rude to text. But if you do, a simple conversation will solve it.
As a nanny I'm so grateful for my employers understanding and kindness. I'm much more likely to go out of my way for them because of it.
Personally I think your being harsh in suggesting you may look for another nanny due to one appointment. If it was happening regularly then maybe, but I'd advice a bit if compassion. You have no idea what's happening in her private life. If she's a good nanny in other respects I'd pay her and move on.

NannyK7H Mon 03-Feb-14 18:42:28

Lovely perspective Seb smile. Good luck with your fertility treatment x

Daiso Tue 04-Feb-14 18:44:22

I was also just about to write that she genuinely may have only found out today about the appointment. When I was pregnant (early on) with my DS, I had some concerns and the earliest scan I could get was 4pm on the next day. I made up something to tell my employers as did not want them knowing that I was pregnant at that point.

2kidsintow Tue 04-Feb-14 18:53:54

Appointments aren't always sent weeks in advance. I've week waiting for a hip referral for ages. Got a letter on Friday, phoned them today and they wanted to give me an appointment for Monday.

Not having the manners to phone and speak in person is something different - although some people do prefer a text if they worry that they might be bothering someone by interrupting them with a phone call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now