Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Please tell me I'm not the only nanny

(10 Posts)
NannyWaines13 Fri 15-Nov-13 20:29:55

To cry on their employer!
I was talking to my charges mum at the end of my shift & she asked if I had anything planned this weekend but instead of a reply I just burst into tears!
I think its a combination of being really tired, not well & this weekend marks a year since my DP commit suicide. I've only been with this family 4 months (but have known them through the nursery I used to work at for 3 1/2 years) so didn't feel comfortable talking about my DP with her so just told her I was tired/poorly & I wasn't really sure what was wrong.
She then said if I ever needed to talk to someone I could go to her. I now feel like I should have told her but don't think I could do it face to face.
Do you think I should text her to tell her or wait until Monday & go in a bit earlier to talk to her?

nannynicnic Fri 15-Nov-13 20:49:22

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago with my db.. I'd got a phone call I was dreading getting saying a family member had passed away. I'm a live-in Nanny and have no family close, the first thing I did was went and found db.. By this point I was in hysterics!

Luckily I am part of the family here and even grandma has been really helpful over the past couple of weeks. The funeral is actually on Monday and I know even though they can't come with me, I know i'll get phone calls and texts making sure I'm ok!

It definitely will not be the first and last time this happens.

it's good to know your bosses will be there for you if you ever need them. It's the same in any job you ave though, or at least for me it has been as even when I've worked in restaurants/bars I've always had someone to talk too.

Hope this weekends not too hard for you x

grabaspoon Fri 15-Nov-13 21:57:16

Yep I've cried at my boss a couple of times - and she's been lovely. We don't have the best relationship and shes not that approachable but shes been good when I've needed her smile

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 15-Nov-13 22:23:01

Oh poor you & I hope the weekend is ok. I would drop her a quick text (if she knows about your dp )to say sorry about the tears earlier rather emotional ATM as this weekend marks the first anniversary of dp's passing.

No need to elaborate but I do think if she's a half decent employer she would (& should) make allowances at least for a few days either side.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 16-Nov-13 09:54:09

Yes I've cried in front of employers - and again same reasons as you - my dh committed suicide just over 2.5yrs ago - if you want to talk feel free to send me a message

Old employers obv knew what happened - but new family didn't - I found sending an email simply stating that you/I was a bit wobbly and are having a hard time as anniversary of dp dying

Hope you are ok thanks and as I said feel free to message me if you want to chat - I've been where it are x

looselegs Sat 16-Nov-13 10:36:18

I would tell her.She has more than likely been through a bereavement herself and will know how you feel.And you'll feel better for talking about it.

I have a couple of times. When my old sports coach died earlier this year I went into work the next few days and was fine until about a week later when DadBoss asked if I was okay (they knew he had passed away the week before). I burst into tears. DPs Nan was dying at that point too so I felt really guilty for crying to him about somebody I hadn't seen for a few years and bottled it up so he got me sobbing for ten minutes.

I also cried when my MumBoss made me redundant in August, it was a complete shock and my first reaction was to cry.

I hope you're okay flowers

drinkyourmilk Sat 16-Nov-13 13:19:57

Yes I've cried on my boss. When my gran died and again when my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. She was amazing both times.

BlackberrySeason Sat 16-Nov-13 18:42:37

I am so sorry to hear about your dp.

I've had a nanny crying on me (as her mb) and I didn't mind at all - would much rather she had told me than be upset and not say why. Was a row with her bf.

I agree with everyone else to tell her why you are upset.

NannyWaines13 Sat 16-Nov-13 19:24:28

Thanks everyone. I've spent the day with DP's family as my parents are away at the moment. We've spent the day looking through photos & talking about his childhood. It's really helped sharing happy memories of him & of course we all had a cry or two but I feel much better tonight than I did yesterday.

As for my boss, I sent her a text this morning just saying I was sorry about last night & that this weekend was the anniversary of a death & could I come in early Monday to talk about it as it didn't feel right to text it. She was really understanding so im going in 1/2 hour early to talk to her. She is such a lovely boss to have, so much better than my previous manager at the nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now