Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

nanny wants net wage -how do i counter

(12 Posts)
Herhonesty Fri 27-Sep-13 11:49:26

Hello i am in conversations with a nanny who wants £9ph net - i''m not happy with paying net for obvious reasons so how do i go back - just with £ ph gross or nothing else?

NomDeClavier Fri 27-Sep-13 11:53:55

'So that'll be £11.25ph gross in the contract'.

Make it clear you're happy to pay the amount she's asking for but in the contract it'll be gross. The above is based on a 944L tax code. If she has another job it's not your problem.

Herhonesty Fri 27-Sep-13 12:01:54

hmm. that makes her unaffordable... oh well. thanks nom

NomDeClavier Fri 27-Sep-13 12:15:13

You can always say you can't afford that but will of £x gross which is £y net equivalent.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 27-Sep-13 12:27:04

Insist on gross and tell her why you're insisting on gross.

Show her MrA's calculator so she can work out what the gross wage would be net.

Welshwabbit Fri 27-Sep-13 14:00:51

Legally, the contract has to give the gross rate now - so tell her that. It sounds as though the difficulty may be that she wants more than you are able to pay.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 27-Sep-13 14:37:59

Why nannies want nett I will never know hmm

But you seemed happy to pay 9 nett but wanted it grossed up / which you say is too much so seems you need to look at cheaper nannies

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 27-Sep-13 14:40:42

A lot just don't know any better Blondes and who can blame them when agencies etc. are still using net. The OP just needs to explain why she'll be talking gross. There is no need to be annoyed at the nanny.

nannynick Fri 27-Sep-13 14:41:11

What gross figure were you looking at? If you enter that in MrAnchovy's calculator you can establish the likely net - though it will of course change in April if not anytime before due to taxcode changes.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 27-Sep-13 14:51:46

True Leeds tho surely by now more nannies should discuss gross but as you said many agencies quote nett

Quick look on nannyjob and most jobs in my area are in nett

No hope for us is there grin

NomDeClavier Fri 27-Sep-13 16:39:38

If I ruled the world had access to nannyjob's internal workings I'd change it to gross only. <evil grin>

Thing is employers know it doesn't work, most nannies know it doesn't work in their favour either come April, and most people will talk gross at interview or at least have it in a contract, especially with RTI, so why the ads are still all in net beats me. I blame the agencies - they're the only ones who have no interest in what happens after a contract is signed and their fee structures are all net.

Karoleann Fri 27-Sep-13 17:09:38

Are you not happy with it as she has another job and you'd be on a BR code?
If so it would be completely reasonable to ask her to split her tax code between employers or to take a lower gross from you to offset it (it will make no difference to her).
If you're not willing to pay the tax - that is unreasonable!
Or if you can't afford it - just explain you can and XXX gross is the amount you can afford which currently works out at XXX net

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now