Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

how much?

(7 Posts)
mumslife Sat 21-Sep-13 21:04:12

Hoping someone can help. My nearly seventeen year old daughter has been offered some babysitting through a friend of a friend. Two children age seven and eight who will probably still be up for part of the evening. what sort of hourly rate is the norm? Thanks

Pashazade Sat 21-Sep-13 22:04:31

My babysitter charges me £7.50 an hour (she works during the day as nursery staff) think this is quite reasonable. My DS is 2.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 21-Sep-13 22:08:20

Most people seem to think teenagers should be happy to have the house to themselves a bag of crisps and a soft drink - anything over that is a bonus.

hmm

I couldn't pay less than £5ph and would round it up/pay a set amount for a 'short' evening. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their evening for less than £20 plus lifts home.

mumslife Sat 21-Sep-13 22:19:32

We thought about five pounds an hour and my husband will pick up

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 21-Sep-13 22:23:44

Hmm - as a one off your DH picking her up is fine, but if your DD is going to be babysitting regularly, part of the negotiation needs to be a lift home or your evenings/social life will be curtailed!

Oubliette0292 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:25:45

We pay £3 per half hour (before midnight) and £5 per half hour (after midnight - obviously weekends only). Our babysitter is 17 and lives across the road from us, so we can easily check she gets home OK.

DragonsAreReal Sat 21-Sep-13 22:25:51

I don't think you need to pay nursery crb checked staff the same as a teenage babysitter. I would say £20 a takeaway and extra money if past midnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now