Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What do you do with nanny when child starts nursery?

(17 Posts)
Nannyme1 Wed 18-Sep-13 20:22:30

Just wondering what the most common situation is for part time nursery what do you do with your nanny?

Hours would be 8 or 9 until 12. So child would need nanny in afternoon.

Do you keep full time nanny and they do nursery duties cooking/ child's washing/ food shopping in those morning hours?

Keep full time nanny and she just has time to herself run hers or your errands?

Drop nannies hours (and if she doesn't like that get a new one)?

Get a new part time nanny as kids go to nursery?

hettienne Wed 18-Sep-13 20:26:42

If you got a part time nanny, or dropped the nanny's hours, who would look after your child in the mornings for the 13 weeks holiday/inset day/sick days?

Once your nanny has done the nursery run presumably they would have about 2 hours free every morning during term time? Not a huge amount of time to fill with shopping/cooking/washing etc.

nannynick Wed 18-Sep-13 20:31:35

Do you need them to start at say 7am? If not, then some nannies may be happy to start later at say 12pm and work till later in the evening.

Are there household duties that can be done - vac throughout the house, concentrated tidy/clean of specific area (I did under two sofa's last week as that is a regular place not to get cleaned very often).

Does your child/youngest child have to attend pre-school? Do they have to attend 5 mornings a week? Not all pre-schools offer 5 mornings a week, at some you won't get the full 15 hour allocation.

From your username I am guessing you are the nanny concerned. Has there been any payrise over recent years? In many job there has been little to none, so your employer may look at the no child contact hours as being a bit of a bonus to you. However they may still need you to be on-call, so the time is not your own to do as you like... you need to be available.

ushush Wed 18-Sep-13 20:35:29

Courtesy of a friend who was engaged as a nanny, then a sudden nursery vacancy came up.....

Keep an eye on the husband as he has lots of ideas of what to do with her spare time........

Nannyme1 Wed 18-Sep-13 20:56:10

Nanny nick I am the nanny concerned.

Charge is off to nursery next year he has already got the 5 mornings a week.

They employ a cleaner, and to be honest I wouldn't be happy cleaning just because I would be stressed about it not be up to scratch (that's another story).

I would be able to fill the time working clothes shopping/food shopping/ meal planning and cooking etc etc and the jobs I do for the mum now like picking up dry cleaning etc.. All of these things I now do, but if I had those hours in the morning I wouldn't be rushing around trying to fit everything into a day.

Just a comment that my boss made last night I'm not sure how happy she will be to pay for nursery and nanny. And just wanted to get an idea of what the majority of people do.

My hours are 7 - 7 at the moment I leave when I out charge to bed so can't really add extra hours at the end of the day as there will be nothing to do (and I will also have no life if I stay more hours every evening).

ceeveebee Wed 18-Sep-13 21:03:59

I am an employer in this situation (or will be) as my DTs will be starting pre-school in 6 months.

I don't plan to cut my nanny's hours because I will need her to take them to nursery in the morning and collect them, and as they will probably have completed dropped their nap by then she will have a full-on day from 12 until 7 so will be her only chance to cook and do their laundry etc. Also I need her to be there in the school holidays. And I will get 15 hours funding so that makes up some of the cost.

ceeveebee Wed 18-Sep-13 21:12:01

Oh and I will be cancelling all paid-for activities - baby gym, music group, dance as they will get all the activities they need at pre school - so that will save us a £50 a week too

valiumredhead Wed 18-Sep-13 21:14:51

In all my jobs I just caught up with the children's washing/ironing and tidying bedrooms. By the time you've done the school run it won't be like there's hours to fill.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 18-Sep-13 21:26:08

I never understand parents who send their child to nursery/pre-school when they have a nanny (apart from school nursery, which is free obv).

I've always been kept on with no extra duties. I've had friends who have had their hours cut to 12-7pm, started a nanny-share, been made redundant (for an au pair),been asked to do cleaning/other jobs during those hours etc. I guess it depends on what suits the nanny and the family.

Victoria2002 Wed 18-Sep-13 22:15:51

If you work 7-7 then I imagine your bosses have quite demanding jobs and therefore need to retain a nanny for if the child is sick etc? Also private nursery schools can have long holidays-check the term dates on the website of the school, a charge of mine has a MONTH off at Easter and TEN WEEKS summer break plus Xmas & half terms! If you suspect your boss plans to change things/expect more it might be worth raising the subject, especially as it sounds like you already do a few non-nursery duties (makes me think your bosses might take the P). Ceeveebee makes a good point too about naps being dropped at that age-it might be no fun for a tired child to be dragged round doing errands after a morning of nursery (if your bosses tried to drop your hours).

PowerPants Wed 18-Sep-13 22:55:59

I am in this exact position as a parent. I agree entirely with ceeveebee and that is how we have handled it. She doesn't get back home from drop off until 9.30am. She does the usual nursery duties, then she goes shopping for us. She also does some of the 'long term' tasks that we never get the chance to do - sort out old clothes/name uniform/dust toys etc. Oh, and she has a coffee and a sit down before it's full on in the afternoon! She has to leave again at 12 noon to pick up ds. I don't think it's fair to cut her hours - you risk losing a good nanny like that.

NomDeClavier Thu 19-Sep-13 12:19:23

It's an awkward one but the sensible thing to do is to keep you on as usual for the next year. There will be times when nursery is closed or your charge is ill so your boss realistically still needs you on call for those hours and therefore is going to have to pay you.

78bunion Thu 19-Sep-13 12:25:54

In our case there were usually younger children/a new baby which resolves the issue. With the youngest though we kept her on as loads done before and no way can most full time working parents take a child to nursery at 9 if they have to commute to work from 7.30am. So we just bore the double cost for a year until they were in school 9 - 3.

One ex nanny had been employed full time and did other jobs - office filing at home, bill paying, going to do errands, collect dry cleaning once the children were older. She said that worked well.

Ours did the weekly shopping too on one day, had time to tidy the toys. In fact by the time she drove to nursery and left to collect the hours she was free were more like 9.30 - 11.30 which is only 2 hours.

Nannyme1 Thu 19-Sep-13 12:47:47

I just never gave it any though. As they can more than afford it so always just assumed I would be kept on.
No problems if they don't want to pay full time I will just have to search for another job as can't afford a drop in pay.

Just wish she would say something one way or the other every time it is bough up its 'I don't know blah blah blah'

Chat time will have to come about very soon I think!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 19-Sep-13 16:58:20

parents vary - till you speak to them you wont know

some happy to keep nanny on as know they need them if child ill/holidays etc

some want blood and make sure their every spare 3hrs are filled with different jobs

some happy for nanny to stay/do extra nursery stuff/food shopping etc

some get rid of and get ap/nannyshare etc

personally if parents work and cant drop off at school then they need to bite the bullet and pay for childcare while at nursery, tbh by the time you taken them and back again, its about 2hrs 'free time'

once all at school then can look at different childcare tho some still pay as need a nanny esp fpr private school if 20ish weeks holiday, thats 5mths not at school - last school had

3 weeks easter
9 weeks summer
4 weeks xmas
3 half terms 1 plus one double half term in oct

so 20 weeks holiday!!!!

valiumredhead Thu 19-Sep-13 17:01:51

They'd be daft not to keep you on for all the reasons already stated. You need to have a chat asap. Good lucksmile

oscarwilde Thu 19-Sep-13 17:04:25

Stop stressing and be proactive - write out a plan for your week showing exactly how much spare time there will actually be. I've got a DD in nursery for 3 hrs a day and the school run even by car takes 30 mins each way.

If your current charge(s) nap for two hours during the day (and won't when nursery starts) and that's when you cook, I'd gently point out that you plan to use the two "free" hours to do the work that you are currently doing in nap time. The alternative is that the kids watch TV or trail around after you while you run errands "which is obviously not desirable". Then leave it with her to stew over it.

Set out your plans and put your employer in the position of justifying a ton of additional work / cut in hours. Most sensible people will realise that the change is when school hours are 8.30-3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now