This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Storage ideas - so my new home doesn't look like a nursery.

(5 Posts)
MaryPoppinsBag Fri 19-Jul-13 17:09:04

Thanks

I have a lovely dresser (not say what colour as it might out me!)
With sliding doors which I currently have in my conservatory playroom.
I was debating whether to sell it and get an big expedit shelving unit. But I think I'll keep it. And just get some more Ikea baskets to go underneath and inside. And then rotate stuff and put the more unsightly storage away every night.

NomDeClavier Fri 19-Jul-13 09:09:58

OFSTED shouldn't have a problem with rotating toys if you just don't have the space as long as you're consistently providing activities which cover all the areas of learning and there's enough to allow children free choice. Plus you can rotate things on fairly frequent basis or fetch a specific you they ask for if you can keep them accessible.

Rotating a wide selection is surely better than a limited selection full stop!

There are some really good storage solutions on pinterest if you're on there - converting bits of furniture to have storage underneath or having nice covers for boxes and baskets of toys.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 19-Jul-13 08:02:52

I think I'm going to that then.
TBH the nurseries/ pre school / foundation units I've seen haven't had everything out and store stuff they aren't using on shelves or rotate the equipment between classes.

Maryann1975 Thu 18-Jul-13 12:26:29

I don't keep everything out for the children to access themselves. I tend to rotate stuff round and keep stuff in cupboards, then bring it back out and put something else away for a couple of weeks. I know ofsted don't like this method, but I find if they have everything all the time, they don't play with any of it, just get everything out and make a big mess with it. One of the childminder support workers we had suggested I made a book with photos of all the toys in, so children could look through, point out what they wanted to play with and then childminder to get it out. I haven't done it though as my children seem quite happy with my selections of toys!

MaryPoppinsBag Thu 18-Jul-13 07:58:42

I am moving (hopefully) to a new house, unfortunately it doesn't have an extra room for child minding like we have now. But we are thinking long term and are moving to a detached with potential to extend eventually.

I will have a living room and dining room. Plus a play room (upstairs for my own only) and a garage to store toys that aren't in use.

I know Ofsted are keen on children being able to access toys independently but I don't want the house to look like a nursery.

How do you do it and keep your house a house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now