Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why do nurseries and school seemto have different regulations than us childminders

(10 Posts)
VinegarDrinker Fri 19-Jul-13 20:09:13

DS's nursery does all the things you mention

PatriciaHolm Fri 19-Jul-13 20:07:21

Our school does all those things.

trinity0097 Fri 19-Jul-13 20:01:18

It's also a question of time, one teacher trying to apply sunscreen to 30 children would mean they don't get a lunch break, whereas one childminder doing a couple of children doesn't take long!

insancerre Fri 19-Jul-13 16:35:45

we do all those things (private day nursery)
I think schools have different rules because of their unions and the perceived risk of being sued

nokidshere Wed 17-Jul-13 14:45:55

Of course they can - they just choose not to for their own reasons. Or they take the "guidelines" to the nth degree and just end up doing nothing and looking stupid.

NomDeClavier Tue 16-Jul-13 15:24:13

All down to interpretation IMO. Also it's easier for a CM to make a case by case decision and justify it - after all if there's a complaint it's 1 person being inspected/on the line. In a nursery they can't give individual staff that freedom, so they will make a policy that errs on the side of caution.

Strix Tue 16-Jul-13 15:22:01

I think the school is using "we can't" as a cover for "we don't".

Hi Salty. Our school yr R and preschool do all the stuff we do, hair, sunscreen, displays. Overzealous interpretation methinks.

turkeyboots Tue 16-Jul-13 15:12:12

My daycare nursery does all those things, but school nursery didn't. I think it come down to staff numbers. School nursery had 2 members of staff so no time to fiddle with hair or put suncream on people, so their policys reflect that.

But they all have pictures up. That ones is just odd unless they have a sizeable number of kids who can't have photos taken for some reason.

Saltire Tue 16-Jul-13 15:01:19

For example
School aren't "allowed" to brush childrens hair or in the case of girls put ponytails back in etc.
They aren't allowed to put suncream on a child - even if parent gives written permission

Theya ren't allowed to have photos of children doing activities up on the wall (nursery)or in learning journals etc- I was told "in case other parents see some one else's child"

all these things I do and yet school and nursery claim "ooh its regulations from OFSTED"

Or is it that I am actually doing things I am not supposed to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now