Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

About to quit!

(32 Posts)
Whatalotofpiffle Sun 16-Jun-13 23:47:45

That's just it really, I am about to give notice to my families. I am not sure I will give it up forever but need a break.

Money is fine for me to do this

Has anyone else ever felt like giving up?

HSMMaCM Mon 17-Jun-13 09:26:41

I have felt like giving up a few times. If you do take a short break, keep your registration active, so you don't have to start from scratch when you return.

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 17-Jun-13 11:08:50

Yes I will, from what I have read I have 3 years smile

TurnThatFrownUpsideDown Mon 17-Jun-13 11:13:00

Hi there.

May i ask why you're planning on packing it in?

I'm having to use childcare for the first time starting as of September, and I'm torn between using a CM or an after school club.

The main reason I'm leaning more towards after school clubs is because of the reliability factor e.g. if someone was sick/wanted a holiday/quit - there would always be another staff member(s) on hand.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 17-Jun-13 11:30:03

I want to quit too!
Thought all was going ok got quite a bit of business lined up and one of my regulars gave notice this morning (my biggest chunk of income). -ahhh!

I think it is the nail in the coffin, as we are moving soon and it would be so much easier to do so without have to cart all the toys my kids have grown out of and I can get rid of the high chair and everything else.

Felt uneasy about CMing for a while and this has brought home how unreliable it is. I'd be letting down a few people but I didn't apply for a job I had a good chance of getting because I did not want to let people down and 2 weeks later I've been dumped!

ReetPetit Mon 17-Jun-13 11:30:11

I'm planning on doing the same piffle smile

i think when you reach that point it's the right thing to do. I can't really afford to do it but am doing it anyway as I'm sick to the back teeth of it all at the moment!

Will be keeping my registration open for when I'm ready smile

HSMMaCM Mon 17-Jun-13 12:26:44

Turnthatfrownupsidedown - although I have thought about quitting a couple of times, I have been minding for 13 years, so just speak to any CMs and see what they say. It's not us that keep changing the boundaries, it's the government.

happydazed Mon 17-Jun-13 14:20:55

shame people are leaving. there are plenty of childminders myself included who are still very happy with their job and don't intend to leave so I wouldn't let that put you off using a childminder.

happydazed Mon 17-Jun-13 14:22:25

shame people are leaving. there are plenty of childminders myself included who are still very happy with their job and don't intend to leave so I wouldn't let that put you off using a childminder.

doughnut44 Mon 17-Jun-13 14:37:58

turnthatfrownupsidedown, I think most childminders feel too much pressure to do a lot of paperwork. also some parents think they can walk over us because they pay us to look after their children. I have just been through a bad patch but my problem parent has just left me so I feel very positive again. It's even better now that we have had some dry weather and can get out more x it was a looooooong winter.
you will probably find very few minders who do school runs will take holidays in term time x

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Mon 17-Jun-13 14:42:19

I always think it's sad when a (good!) CM decides to stop minding.

I think the vast majority of the time it's due to bloody Ofsted & the mountains of paperwork they require.

Or - less often but equally bloody draining - demanding parents.

sad

Why are you thinking about quitting Piffle?

Tanith Mon 17-Jun-13 15:07:45

I am feeling very disillusioned.
Liz Truss's More Great Childcare proposals were passed on to the Lords last week sad

Feel so angry and sad that someone who knows nothing about us can just wreck our sector for political reasons.

Preposteroushypothesis Mon 17-Jun-13 15:18:47

I'm also quitting!! 5 weeks to go, I am having a baby which is my excuse but really I am just sick of it at the moment. My own fault for burning myself out over the last year taking on too much, I was working every day from 6:30-6:30!! Just exhausted myself so can't wait to have time with just my own 2 children. I dont know whether I will go back to it or not!

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 17-Jun-13 15:43:59

Tanith - what was passed last week?

Tanith Mon 17-Jun-13 16:42:12

www.ukcma.me.uk/have-your-say

Basically, everything proposed by Liz Truss bar the ratios, which were removed after the campaign, has gone through Parliament and is on its way to the House of Lords.

That includes childminder agencies.

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 17-Jun-13 18:15:04

Turnthatfrown, I am quitting as I am worn out, have a chance to expand my craft business and I want my house back for a bit. I have loved it but have taken on too much and am looking forward to being crafty mum and seeing how it goes.

Plus, I never felt like I could keep up with paperwork, parent queries etc

If I start again I will do it differently

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 17-Jun-13 18:17:01

Chipping - parents are massively getting me down

I know I am good, graded good, everyone happy, but deep down I want to see if my other business has potential

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 17-Jun-13 18:19:35

I feel like a complete door mat too... Walked over (admittedly my own fault) in my own house in front of my own child = a little soul destroying!

ReetPetit Mon 17-Jun-13 18:57:04

me too! sick to death of it. have 2 ds, aged 8 and 4 who desperately need me atm. sick of being treated like a piece of cra*p. looking forward to some well deserved time off, hoping to find other work but if i can't, i may go back to it with a new (business like) attitude.

MUM2BLESS Mon 17-Jun-13 19:02:00

I have felt like quitting before but I am glad I did not. I do not want to make a decision based on how I may feel at times. Had my ups and downs but stayed with it.

I think being a cm has given me such flexibility and enabled me to be there for my family (husband and four kids)

My youngest is in year four. Could it be that I may change what I am doing when he goes to senior school?

I must say that I have learnt some hard lessons during my time as a cm. I am much wiser than when I first started.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Mon 17-Jun-13 19:16:08

Piffle - yes, some parents really do take the piss. Hopefully your craft business will take off smile

Reet - I think it would be good to have a break, start with new parents and start as you mean to go on!! At least next time you'll be more aware of the things you are and aren't prepared to do and put up with!!

BlackSwan Mon 17-Jun-13 21:18:25

If your heart isn't in it you should quit. Doing no favours to the kids if you don't really want to do it.

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 18-Jun-13 00:10:09

I agree blackswan, that's what I am worried about too

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 18-Jun-13 18:27:03

Ok, I did it! Not de registering just having some time out. The parents were really good about it but I do feel bad for the children and feel like I have dropped everyone in it.

ReetPetit Tue 18-Jun-13 18:36:39

smile good for you piffle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now