Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

I've just been told I might struggle to get a job after CMing because I haven't worked for five years....

(19 Posts)
Lovingcarenanny Sat 04-May-13 09:45:13

I have been a childminder for 11 years, although had a 3 year break during that time to be a nanny which I loved as I had all the best bits ie looking after children and supporting their development without the pressure of increasing paperwork, intrusion in your own home, the difficulties of trying to please everyone (several families with different parenting ideas, the children and your own family) and never really being able to get away from work. I returned to childminding to support my daughter when she returned to work 3.5 years ago but have now finally thrown in the childminding towel and have a permanent nanny position with one family.

It's so wrong that childminding isn't regarded as a career by people who have no idea just how many skills you need to carry out the job...administrator, secretary, marketing/sales, educator, organising and planning, interpersonal communication skills, cleaner, cook and company director!!

For some reason when you mention you are a nanny people look up to you and you feel valued, if you say you are a childminder you just don't get the same response.

Whatalotofpiffle Fri 03-May-13 19:18:15

Agree the intrusion and not being able to go home from work is tough

Whatalotofpiffle Fri 03-May-13 19:15:26

When I first registered I was always asked 'so aren't you going back to work then?'
Answer: 'Yes, I will be working, I will be self employed, running my own business, I work 40 hours'
Reply: 'Yes, yes, I get that but you aren't going to get a real job then?'
Answer: '&)@;sad£@"?!!!!'

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 30-Apr-13 19:07:14

Good luck OP!

I've only been minding for 10 months. (But was Trying to get custom since Autumn 2011.)

But I'm fed up of it. I hate the intrusion. And hate all the illness my kids have had since me starting.

Xroads Tue 30-Apr-13 17:11:49

Good Luck!!

AudreyParker Tue 30-Apr-13 15:55:54

Well I have an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed!

Thanks, everyone thanks

fackinell Tue 30-Apr-13 11:59:17

Audrey, like you I went from CMing to sales. I used exactly the tools you have described in my interview: Excellent organisational skills, promoting my own business, using my own initiative and book-keeping. (Don't forget liaising within a multi-disciplinary team, always makes them think, that one.) Basically sales in a different form, selling yourself and your service provision.

What a rude person!! Luckily my new boss saw it as a positive and I think I convinced them that my career change was really what I wanted and not a gap filler before wandering back to child care. That was a concern of theirs.

I totally understand what you mean, the impression of others is that we sit in a sandpit all day and put on Cbeebies and do our ironing. It's not!! I got sick of the early drop offs/ late pickups and sick kids being brought in effectively closing me down for 3 days while I recovered and cleaned (Noro!!) Trying to get across to parents that its a care setting and not just your home didn't work for me and I never felt 'finished' work.

Good luck, I have faith in you. thanks

Trying2bMindful Tue 30-Apr-13 00:00:07

Wow. How ignorant. How can nannying be a career but CM not?! Surely it is just location that is different (& tbh many CMs are more like mini nurseries so even more complicate than nannying).
Good luck with the job hunt. Perhaps you will become one of those Mumpreneur types we read about?!

AudreyParker Thu 25-Apr-13 13:07:15

She did have the grace to apologise, and wish me luck.

grin

Mintyy Thu 25-Apr-13 13:04:56

Well I hope your reply wiped the smile off that client's face! Some people really are ignorant fekkers aren't they?

AudreyParker Thu 25-Apr-13 13:04:26

That's the plan, Nick.

Thanks thanks

nannynick Thu 25-Apr-13 13:01:01

How do employers see it? If you say you were a childminder on your cv, then they may not think much of it. If you said you ran your own successful business, then maybe they would interview you.
You need to get the interview, so how you phrase things on cv, covering letter, application form is important.
It is great at you are looking at what skills you have, think about how those are transferable to another business and sell yourself.

AudreyParker Thu 25-Apr-13 12:39:39

I'm planning to apply to some Estate Agencies to do in-house training as a sales bod, I have sales experience from before I had children and I'm pretty sure I can sell my five years CMing as a positive at interviews.

If I really struggle to get a job, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm not planning to stop CMing until September so there's time.

Fingers crossed, anyway. Good luck with your new business!

Xroads Thu 25-Apr-13 12:35:08

Ouch!

I'm aiming to jack it in at some point too but I want to run a different business, tricky getting another business of the ground when you are doing 50 odd hours a week childminding but I am determined to make it work.

What sort of job are you looking for next?

LingDiLong Wed 24-Apr-13 22:28:40

I totally get why you are annoyed, what a rude and disrespectful attitude. Of course it's difficult to change career but to imply that you haven't actually been working?! Absolutely ridiculous. It's the kind of thing that the kids I look after come out with - understandably. But from a parent - what the hell is she paying you for then if you're not doing a job of work?

calmlychaotic Wed 24-Apr-13 20:44:55

I've been asked how will I cope if I have to go and get a proper job, annoying but to be honest though I didn't have a clue what childminders did until I used one and then became one. I think a lot people don't realise the work that goes into it.

AudreyParker Wed 24-Apr-13 20:33:42

Fair enough lljkk, but not really the point.

She said I woudl struggle to get a job (any job) because I haven't worked for five years. What does she think I do? This is a parent, by the way, who clearly doesn't value Childminding as a career. Which is clearly a common viewpoint.

I haven't had a five year break. I haven't even been a SAHM. I've been working. It is work. It's bizarre and rude to say I haven't been.

lljkk Wed 24-Apr-13 20:25:43

People with better experience have struggled to get interviews or jobs, though. And it's harder to document your skills sometimes when SE.

Good luck with the job hunt anyway.

AudreyParker Wed 24-Apr-13 19:54:48

...to which I replied, yes running a successful business, selling a service, doing all my own admin and paperwork, working upwards of 50 hour weeks, keeping up with training courses, dealing with endless shit from clients like you, advertising, organising, grafting, it's not like 'work' at all, is it?

And THAT, ladies and gents, is exactly the kind of attitude that has led to me jacking it all in.

Give me strength.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now