This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Some Advice please (cm) - About to take on a almost 2 year old

(10 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Tue 02-Apr-13 19:43:23

All went well with first session, without mum being present. Just a little upset as I took over , but shortly afterwards, little one settled down. thanks for your help everyone

MUM2BLESS Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:31

Thank you so much, nice one!!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 31-Mar-13 09:27:42

The two year check should be done between the ages of 2 and 3 so you have some time. Obviously you cannot do a check on a child that you do not know, so get to know the child first.

Goldmandra Sat 30-Mar-13 17:55:07

Get parents to send comfort objects, favourite toys, dvds, cds for child to use.

If you use tv have a favourite programme set up on iPlayer/ ITV player before the child arrives to help the separation process.

Get parents to sleep with a blanket or send a top they have been wearing so it smells familiar.

Make sure you offer familiar food and drink at first and keep to home routine as much as possible.

MUM2BLESS Sat 30-Mar-13 15:59:17

Thanks ifmamaainthappy grin

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 19:14:31

If a child is young, and / or unsettled, i ask parents / careers to provide photo's of family members this can help to settle them, either in frames or a book, just a idea.. good luck x

MUM2BLESS Fri 29-Mar-13 18:25:47

Thanks Save...

Eventually I have to do the two year old check. How long do I leave it ? as I do not really know him as yet? The check is not new to me as I have done it before but the child was with me for a while.

Aldwick Fri 29-Mar-13 18:13:01

Find out if there are any 'words' he uses that you might not instantly recognise.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Fri 29-Mar-13 18:07:51

Find out what the child likes doing and spend time doing those things

MUM2BLESS Fri 29-Mar-13 17:57:03

Its been a while since I have taken on a new child on. I know sometimes cms have a few visits from parent and child, but services are needed pretty quickly. Little one is very clingy to mum, which is understandable. Child has been to mine twice with mum.

Most of the kids with I cm will not be with me as most are term time only. I am grabbing this opportunity to give one to one care. I know I will have to be patient and understanding.

Some advice on what you do to settle a child?

Thank you so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now