Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Horrible Nanny Agencies in London

(10 Posts)

I was going to suggest mn local too. At least you'd have something in common wink

nkf Tue 26-Mar-13 22:44:00

The ones I've always used are terrific. And I've used gumtree too. Also effective but harder work for you.

Welovegrapes Tue 26-Mar-13 22:42:26

The one I used to use has just gone under - in home counties not London. I think most parents are starting to use things like Childcare.co.uk.

Echocave Mon 25-Mar-13 19:20:18

We found our nanny's agency to be pretty poor at the negotiations early on. Our nanny on the other hand is absolutely great. But I was a bit shocked at how cackhanded the agency was (particularly considering its a fairly big one).

Tanith Thu 21-Mar-13 08:57:20

This is why most childminders regard the proposed childminder agencies with horror!

Agencies exist to make money for themselves. At the moment, there are a lot of nannies in London so they can take their pick: they don't have to be nice (except to their clients, of course).

fraktion Wed 20-Mar-13 22:09:19

Some are good, most are rubbish. The ANA are getting quite vocal about the threats nanny agencies are under but don't seem to be doing much to improve them.

I'd look on websites. Gumtree, nannyjob, local nethuns, MN local etc and see if you can bypass them. If you find a good one by all means use them but don't feel beholden to agencies.

LovelyNanny26 Wed 20-Mar-13 17:04:34

Im looking for a 3 to 4 day nanny job.They are all suprised that I dont want 5.I read on the internet that nanny agencie are disappearing.As parents cant afford fees.Woul you recommend gumtree? Ive been on childcare website. I'm looking to start in September. Maybe because im registering now to avoid nerves they are being do pushy.

AngiBolen Wed 20-Mar-13 16:41:45

Ah, so things haven't changed in the last 20 years...I look back in horror at the rude and unprofessional way some of the agencies behaved. Not all agencies were completely awful, just the majority. grin I think it's just one of those things you have to suck up to find a well paid nanny job.

afussyphase Wed 20-Mar-13 16:29:23

I don't know. But I occasionally surf around looking for childcare and I have the impression that lots of agencies and websites are basically trying to be artificial barriers, in the guise of allowing people to find each other - and setting themselves up as middlemen who take an unreasonable portion off the top!

LovelyNanny26 Wed 20-Mar-13 16:01:42

Hi there.
Ive been recently registered with nanny agencies in London. The more im trying to register with the more im getting an impression that they are rude and unprofessional. They can't be bother to get back to you or they only prefer email contact. Is it just me or this is happening not only to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now