This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny advert

(6 Posts)
OutragedFromLeeds Thu 28-Feb-13 20:50:13

I think they can legally ask you to only work for them. I think that's probably standard in some jobs/companies.

I wouldn't agree to it in this situation though.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 28-Feb-13 17:27:20

Avoid at all costs

Like callaird I wouldn't agree to that in my contract

I work for who I like when I like (obv not in working hours? And as long as what I do outside work hours doesn't impact what i do in working hours then tbh none of my employers business what I do

Yes again to gross wage - payslips and holiday

nannynick Thu 28-Feb-13 16:33:20

I feel they cannot insist that you do not have any other income... as what would happen in a situation where they hired someone who got a pension payment? Maybe it would be considered to be age discrimination to insist that someone did not have any other income in the situation where they would not hire someone who also got a pension payment.

Yes they should be agreeing a Gross wage.

If they are paying below the tax threshold (£107 a week, is the current LEL for National Insurance and thus the point they have to register as an employer) then they surely are not wanting someone to work for many hours.

Maybe they do not understand how taxation works and so are confused about what happens if someone does have other income. If they choose to use a payroll company it would cost them, but £135 average a year is not that much and they could save that by doing the payroll themselves.

callaird Thu 28-Feb-13 16:19:49

Sorry, yes they should offer gross wage, pay slips and holidays/sick pay etc,.

callaird Thu 28-Feb-13 16:17:15

I would say that they can say that but you don't have to agree to it. If they put it in the contract and you sign it then you wouldn't be able to work for anyone else.

I would not sign a contract with that clause in it! I'm contracted to 65 hours a week, I still wouldn't sign that. I look after ex-charges at weekends and even take holiday from work to look after them and I get paid.

FlorenceMattell Thu 28-Feb-13 16:10:41

Can an employer insist that you work just for them?
Just seen an advert for a nanny five afternoons. Ad says must be employees only job as under paying tax threshhold.. Ad does say pay slip and holiday pay.
Is this legal. Surely they need to offer gross wage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now