Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Will my CM think I'm mad/controlling?

(13 Posts)
Titchyboomboom Fri 01-Mar-13 18:14:59

It wouldn't bother me, but the only concern I would have is snack envy from the other children who want what he has instead.. Not a major issue though.

teacher123 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:15:44

Brilliant, thanks again for responses. smile He's got more settling in sessions next week, so will pop a couple of things in his bag and just tell her they are there if he's a bit reluctant. He's staying for lunch next time so hopefully he'll eat something...! I would never expect her to buy special stuff in just for him, but don't want to offend her by packing it just in case. It's more so he doesn't turn into whingy limpet baby!

Fightlikeagirl Wed 27-Feb-13 22:03:24

I wouldn't mind at all, one of my parents brings in a few snacks for her ds and it doesn't cause any problems at all. I would rather a child doesn't go hungry and would rather this than for her to ask me to provide the things he likes as they would be more expensive for me to buy.
Talk to her and offer to pop the snacks in his bag, see what she would prefer.

looneytune Wed 27-Feb-13 20:25:27

As he's under 1, it wouldn't bother me at all what you provided as I'd just explain to the older ones that's it's 'baby' food smile Would be trickier if was an older child but I don't mind for this age. But don't be surprised if he still doesn't eat as much as at home as this is normal if he's settling in and struggling a little.

Good luck smile

calmlychaotic Wed 27-Feb-13 20:11:43

I wouldn't mind at all, suggestions for snacks he would like or you providing them would be fine, probably just a settling in thing and he'll eat fine soon.

teacher123 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:46:38

Thank you for comments! He has form for being a bit fussy about drinking his milk... He drank it all in one go when i got there! And the snack was banana and I think he is the only baby in the world who doesn't LOVE banana so he wouldn't eat it. I think it was definitely a settling issue, rather than what was offered, he's not normally remotely fussy. I'll have a word with her and see what she suggests. I don't want to sound critical at all, but equally don't want DS to be hungry!

HSMMaCM Wed 27-Feb-13 14:10:03

I wouldnt want you to bring something, in case the other children all wanted to share it. I would want you to speak to me about things (including snacks) I could do to help him settle. I would try to include things he is familiar with initially.

What snacks does she have? He might have not eaten because he's adjusting and not 100% comfy.

Talk to the childminder. As far as I'm concerned that's one if the bonuses of having a childminder over nursery, you can cater to individual child/parents.

My DS childminder provides snacks but he takes packed breakfast and lunch. I pack plenty extra then he can have different/extra snacks if he likes. He is 14 months old now but started when he was 10 months.

Xroads Wed 27-Feb-13 13:58:21

I'd pop them in his bag and not make a big deal of it just say to cm i've put a few things in his bag if you need them.

He will soon settle in. I'ma childminder btw and I usually let parents provide food if they want to up til they are 1yr after that I feel everyone the same otherwise it gets tricky.

alarkaspree Wed 27-Feb-13 13:57:16

If he wouldn't drink his milk either it might be that he was refusing food because he was a bit unsettled, not because he didn't like what was on offer.

Obviously you can send food in with him if you want to, but first I'd try talking to the CM to see what she suggests. If it is the case that he doesn't like whatever she was offering I think I'd expect her to work something out that he does like, as long as he's not extraordinarily fussy.

lechatnoir Wed 27-Feb-13 13:56:51

One of my mum's sends in snacks for her 11mth old & it doesn't bother me in the slightest! I include all food & snacks in my price so if anything it's better for me as I don't have to buy in special baby snacks grin

teacher123 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:52:56

He's 10mo by the way, eats well, three meals a day and has a small sup of formula mid morning and mid afternoon.

teacher123 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:52:04

Right, DS has just done his first couple of settling sessions and it seems to be going ok. He went for a few hours yesterday, went down for a nap etc. only thing he struggled with was he didn't want his milk, and wouldn't eat the snack she provided. I am paying for his food whilst he's there. Is it really pfb to give her some food to have at her house that I know he likes if all else fails? He was a bit upset when I got there yesterday because he hadn't had his milk or anything to eat since breakfast and he was STARVING! I don't want her to think that I am judging what she offers him, but equally I don't want him to go hungry if he doesn't like something. I was just thinking a couple of bags of organic snacks, a couple of his favourite jars and some pots of fruit. What do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now