Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

giving notice

(10 Posts)
PedlarsSpanner Thu 07-Mar-13 22:51:18

I am so sorry, what a bummer, you poor thing - all that lost income sad

calmlychaotic Thu 07-Mar-13 22:46:01

thought I would update, I didn't need my notice letter as they quit! no notice just didn't turn up. text 2 days later to say they have left! should be a month notice, its in contract. and they left owing me money from last month too. have said they can't afford to pay and there is nothing I can do about it. the notice period although of course rightfully owed it doesn't annoy me as much but for childcare they have already had its totally unfair. they are on benefits so guess if I do take them to court and win I'll probably be awarded £1 a week or something. still on the plus side at least I am rid of them!

I could never understand why cm where so strict, after this and another couple of bad experiences I am becoming very strict and much less tolerant. its a shame.

minderjinx Wed 27-Feb-13 09:35:18

I wouldn't personally mention changes to your business or not being able to offer what they need, just in case they ask what those changes are and what you could offer - in which case you might be in a bit of a corner if they say they will take what you can do.

I would say something like "Due to a change in personal circumstances I am unable to offer care with effect from (date)" and then if they do have the nerve to ask you can just say it's personal (adopt sorrowful look and offer them a copy of CM and nursery list from FIS!).

time4abrew Wed 27-Feb-13 09:09:09

if you are a member of NCMA they have a fantastic legal advice team who will basically tell you what to write and say-thats what they did when i was having a similar problem. Hope you get it sorted its an awful situation to be in xx

ZuleikaD Wed 27-Feb-13 07:53:45

Yes, they're taking the piss and you're entirely right to give notice. I would also make sure that you charge those late fees! My 'notice' text would be:

Dear Parents
Please accept this letter as notice of the end of our contract. This means that the last day for your child will be X date.
thank you

bigpaws Wed 27-Feb-13 06:07:23

I had this with one of my parents. Genuine reason for me giving notice - however they wanted revenge. Luckily, all the issues they raised were contractual - hence OFSTED weren't interested.

I had done everything 'by the book'. Just make sure you give the notice period agreed on your contact, and make sure no fees are outstanding on either side.

I got worried about it too, but there really isn't a need. One of the perks about running your own business is you choose who to work with!

Do you charge a late payment fee & late collection fee by the way? I do - makes you feel a little less annoyed. Plus it makes the parents more punctual!

Good luck - come back and let us know how it goes!

ReetPetit Tue 26-Feb-13 22:25:53

don't worry too much - they sound like they are taking the piss!
you don't have to give a reason, do as Alliwant says - just state you are giving them notice and the date it will take effect from. You will feel so much better for it - well done smile

calmlychaotic Tue 26-Feb-13 21:17:54

Love it thank you, I am getting so stressed when there really is no need!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 26-Feb-13 21:05:06

Dear XYZ

I am sorry to inform you that I have to give you notice in respect of my childmidning your child. Unfortunately the changes that I have to make in my business means that I am no longer able to offer you the type of service / hours that you need.

Notice is effective from * date with my last day of childminding your child being $$$$ date.

Kindest regards
CalmlyChaotic

calmlychaotic Tue 26-Feb-13 20:40:09

I am a childminder and I want to give notice for one mindee. Its nothing to do with the child just repeated issues with the parents. They haven't been with me long but we just don't see eye to eye on anything! Have had late payments, weeks late. Late collection-over an hour frequently. couple of times hour and a half early no warning and no interest in the impact it has on others. Tried to explain we have booked activities, school runs etc to work around but they seem to think I just work for them.

There are other problems too specific to mention here. I just don't know how to go about it and what to say. There isn't any one thing I can state, guess I don't have to give a reason at all but surely they will ask. I am also a little worried about them being malicious, making a complaint against me. They have mentioned in conversation how they have got their own back on people for minor disagreements and I could be totally out of order thinking this but it worries me. I want to make sure I am fair and legal, any advice appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now