Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Wow

(18 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Sat 16-Feb-13 14:22:42

Best advice I was ever given while registering was to do pick up/drop off at the door.

Works great for older mindees as i still have a quick chat with the parents while they get their shoes on, still feels a bit awkward with baby mindees mum as they are left standing if I need to run and fetch something but she is the one that would stay for ages so i don't feel too bad. She once turned up just as mindee had dropped off for her nap (usually 2 hours!) and told me not to disturb her she would just sit in my house till she woke up!

Fightlikeagirl Fri 15-Feb-13 21:36:25

Yes I think I do need to do something as my family dinners are getting later and later. Will pluck up the courage to do it! Thanks Reet smile

HSMMaCM Fri 15-Feb-13 21:34:56

ReetPetit - that's more or less what I did. Newsletter item saying children will be collected from and delivered to the front door, to avoid unsettling the other children. I also added that if they want to come and chat, just let me know.

No WOW boards here, I am trying to cut back on any admin that does not benefit the children, or their parents.

ReetPetit Fri 15-Feb-13 21:22:37

Fight, if you feel rude, the best way i find is to send an email to all parents. just state that as from whichever date you will following a new drop off/pick up procedure. children will be dropped at the door and collected from the door. you don't really have to give a reason but if you want to you could state it is less unsettling for children in the morning to have a swift drop off and you are starting the new pick up as you find your evenings are being eaten into and you need that time with your family. if you send it to all parents, it doesn't feel like you are getting at one family in particular. Good Luck you will feel better for it honestly! I hate having parents trapse all up the stairs and into my living room with their shoes on, i just don't see the point!!

MUM2BLESS Fri 15-Feb-13 20:43:37

My parents differ in what they do. Generally most of my parents do not come into my house.

Sometimes I may chat to certain parents if we have something that we need to chat about. Some just collect their kids and go.

I like to have things ready ie bags ready etc as the time approaches. I work to 6pm. Shoes are usually left in the hall way on the shoes rack.

I like your idea on a wow board.

Fightlikeagirl Fri 15-Feb-13 16:42:17

Would I not seem rude having them ready now after a couple of years of not? Mine don't seen to want to get home, sit down and tell me about their day!

BackforGood Fri 15-Feb-13 16:27:43

I agree with Zule and Nicknacks
(as a parent, not a CMer)
I much preferred the CMs who had my child in coat and ready, so I could collect and get home, than the one who never had them ready and it used to waste 10 mins or more night after night, with dcs playing up between the two of us.
So, as a parent I wouldn't want to see a wow board. I hope you'd mention to me if my child did something you think I'd find exciting.

NickNacks Fri 15-Feb-13 16:24:31

I do that too^^

School and Pre-school have always had my children ready at pickup time and so I do it too, parents just want to get home and have dinner, the kids play up far more if they're not ready.

ZuleikaD Fri 15-Feb-13 16:13:47

Have them in their shoes and coats five minutes before pickup time, meet parents at the door with child and child's bag, wave goodbye! No way am I going to sacrifice an extra 20 minutes at the end of the day.

Fightlikeagirl Fri 15-Feb-13 15:53:35

Pick up and drop offs without coming in?! How do you manage that? That's the part of the day I like least, we have normally tidied up by then and we're just looking at a book together then parents turn up and chat and the children see this as an opportunity to get the toys back out and stay an extra 15 minutes!! I love them all but come six I want my house back. I need to toughen up dont I?!
But back to the thread- what is a wow board?

ReetPetit Fri 15-Feb-13 12:28:19

whats a wow board? confused
if its something the parents have to participate in inside my house - no thankyou - pick up drop off is at the door wink

KirstyoffEastenders Fri 15-Feb-13 11:29:03

Haha, WTF is a 'wow' board then?

Stoney666 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:20:07

Sorry, I don't have a clue what u r talking about lol grin

ZuleikaD Fri 15-Feb-13 11:04:29

^^ LOL!

KirstyoffEastenders Fri 15-Feb-13 10:36:07

Vek'nilash, Horde, Nest of Vipers (guild) - JOIN US

ZuleikaD Fri 15-Feb-13 10:27:37

Slightly more seriously, my parents don't come into the house at dropoff/pickup so I don't do stuff like that.

ZuleikaD Fri 15-Feb-13 10:25:26

World Of Warcraft?

Stoney666 Fri 15-Feb-13 08:47:39

I am thinking of starting a wow board. Does anyone elsi have one? Do parents like it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now