Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Some general questions (cm) thanks

(12 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 13-Feb-13 13:36:16

Thank you fightlikeagirl.

Fightlikeagirl Wed 13-Feb-13 13:32:24

I have same situation with a child - myself and the pre school both do our own learning journey and observations. We share these with each other once a term, with parents permission of course.

I do an evacuation drill once every six months or before if new children start. Not sure what the actual guidelines are but my LA early years advisor says what I do is fine.

MUM2BLESS Wed 13-Feb-13 13:07:43

More questions

I have a 3yr who i take to pre school m to f 09.00 to 12.00. I then have her until 6pm. Whos role is it to do LJ and observations? pre school or mine or both?

How often do I need to do evacuation drills?

Waiting for Ofsted (using time to catch up on things that needs catching up on grin

Thanks smile

MUM2BLESS Wed 13-Feb-13 11:43:44

Thank you fightlikeagirl. Made some notes on your comments
LesbianMummy1. please email your compreshensive list. (thank you)

I cm a child who is 5 today. Only comes during the hols.

Do I need to forward her learning journals and art display folders now. She is in recpetion.

1 judged on child's ability helped if needed
2 l have a printed copy of my risk assessment for reference but no longer written every time I check anything new added as required
3 If they can do it they do all my two year olds do this parents often do it for their easiness
4 Up to them
5 I have a comprehensive list I can email you next week if you would like

Fightlikeagirl Sun 10-Feb-13 01:16:09

*your not you're, sorry!!!!!!

Fightlikeagirl Sun 10-Feb-13 01:14:31

As regards checklist for ofsted visit I'd go through the EYFS statutory framework with a fine tooth comb, making sure that each point listed is either something you have e.g a policy, something you do and can prove you do e.g observations and next step planning or something you are aware about and have knowledge of e.g safeguarding.
Then just make sure you're paperwork is up to date, checking review dates on permission forms etc and (if you want to) fill in the self evaluation form.

MUM2BLESS Sat 09-Feb-13 22:08:43

Thank You for your comments.

1. I think I will let her do it and assist if needs be.
2. I will review my risk assessments monthly or when necessary.
3. I will try to give lots of praises when things are done independantly.
4. Homework time is available but I will not force anyone to do it. Had my battles and tug of war with this in the past.
5. I am trying to get a check list of what should be in place etc. Any suggestions most welcome.

HSMMaCM Sat 09-Feb-13 07:56:28

1. I let my 3 yr olds wipe themselves, theniI wipe, then make sure they wash their hands thoroughly.

2. You don't have to have written risk assessments, but I review mine monthly and jot any daily ones in my register (ie ice on path).

3. I let the children do as much as they can by themselves.

4. The older children pretty much choose their own activities, or help the younger ones.

5. I am waiting for Osfted visit and doing nothing differently.

apotomak Fri 08-Feb-13 23:42:51

1. 3 year old may still need a bit of help there
2. Risk assess constantly but you do not need to write it down anymore
3. That sounds fine
4. Mine do homework ... play on the net, read books, play with the younger ones if they want to, help set the dinner table and clear up etc
5. Recently had an inspection ... on time ... you don't do anything in the meantime just carry on as usual

MUM2BLESS Fri 08-Feb-13 21:39:24

Thank you for your time with this.

MUM2BLESS Fri 08-Feb-13 21:38:36

Rather than starting new topics I thought I would use this to ask my general questions. I am a childminder

1. At what age shoud a child be cleaning themselves after doing a number two? Dealing with a three year old, shoud she be doing this herself?

2. Are we suppose to be logging our risk assessments? I do them m-f but was not 100% sure

3. I drop off and pick up from pre school. To encourage independance I let the little one take off her own coat and hat and hang them up herself. I also let her put them on herself, I will help if needed. Most of the parents get the coat etc for the child. Cm what do you do for the child and what do you let them do for themselves? It could be because I have four children who are older or because I am the cm not the parent.

4. What do you engage your older cm kids with, 10 yrs plus (one of which is at senior sch).

5. Anyone still waiting for Osfted visit? what are you doing in the mean time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now