Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Lazy childminder

(83 Posts)
brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:30

There is a childminder in our village who is possibly the laziest person i know. She comes to toddlers/clubs, unloads the kids, sits on her bum and doesn't move all the time she is there. Apart from the odd 'don't do that Johnny', she ignores the kids, who end up seeking attention from others. It makes me so cross that she is classed as 'good' by ofsted. If she is this lazy at toddlers, what is she like at home?

knackeredmother Fri 08-Feb-13 21:33:00

I must add clearly not all childminders see playgroup as a break for 2 hours inc op. I know there are good childminders out there but at shocked so many find this acceptable.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Feb-13 21:37:22

I'm a nanny knackered, also with a degree in psychology actually. I don't have a 2 hour paid break. I do let the children play independently at playgroup. They know where I am, if they need me they come to me. I sit and chat. I watch them and if I need to intervene I will. I very rarely need to (and often don't need to get up off my chair, words are enough).

Is your nanny allowed to sit down or does she interact with the children constantly all day?

knackeredmother Fri 08-Feb-13 21:40:59

The difference with the OP is that the CM wasn't intervening when needed. Totally different scenario.

Becp Fri 08-Feb-13 22:10:31

That's not actually what she said initially, the cm in question seems to have got worse as the thread goes on confused

WorriedMary Sat 09-Feb-13 07:44:48

In the OP it said the the 'lazy' CM said 'Don't do that Johnny' so she did intervene when the children did something. The story then changed to make her sound worse.

knackeredmother Sat 09-Feb-13 08:30:30

But she didn't get up once! I'm astounded people think this is acceptable.

Floralnomad Sat 09-Feb-13 08:36:30

Unless the OP has her eyes fixed on her for the entire 2 hours how do we really know that this woman doesn't move? And if the OP has her eyes fixed on her for the 2 hours I would suggest that her time might be better spent paying more attention to her mindees . Hence neither of them sound like they're doing a wonderful job !

brightpinkleggings Sat 09-Feb-13 09:14:21

Its fairly obvious when someone doesn't move! Also since when is saying 'don't do that johnny' across the room effective behaviour management with a pre schooler. Where exactly did i change my story? And if i am such a rubbish cm surely i would be sat on my bum instead of ensuring my mindees are getting the most from their trip to toddlers and their needs are met.

brightpink, what folk are saying is that your opening post was grumbling about the CM sitting around and occasionally saying don't do that johnny to the children who are being attention-seeking with others, then you subsequently appeared to embellish it to the children pushing and shoving, after some posters said ''hmm not sure what the prob is''

drip-feeding of info, usually to try to get posters to change their minds, can really rile seasoned MNers [understatement]

any fwiw imo there IS a balance to be struck, between standing back and letting the children get on with learning to mix, to share, to take turns, to lead play, to follow play and being nearer, on hand, to intervene if necessary, depending on the ages and stages of the children in one's care that day. Sitting around on one's arse does not fall into either camp

knackeredmother Sat 09-Feb-13 10:16:16

Reetpetit: I wouldn't expect any professional to take a 2 hour break. I'm not on my high horse at all, parents are paying for a service. No I don't get a break in my job but not do most professionals I know. I'm a doctor as you ask not that's it's relevant.

Mrscupcake23 Sat 09-Feb-13 10:43:22

I don't think bright pink has changed her story unless I am missing something. I do think if you are getting paid to look after someone else's child you should make more of an effort .( I was a bit more lazy with my own children than minded ones)

Not all childminders are brilliant,or nannies or doctors. There has been a couple of threads on childminders this week and you do all tend to jump in and stick together.

ReetPetit Sat 09-Feb-13 11:32:45

i would be surprised if this cm really does sit for the whole 2 hours barking out orders at her mindees and not moving an inch. if that is the true situation then yes, she sounds lazy and should be challenged my one of the other cms in the group or whoever is running the group...
the op didn't say this origanally which is why i think people couldn't see the problem.
like i said before, yes, she sounds lazy BUT she is going to groups with them. if she was really, really lazy she wouldn't even go to groups.
i think if she is truly bad then you should say something op!

Flisspaps Sat 09-Feb-13 15:06:02

reet that's the THIRD time on this thread that you've said this CM can't be lazy 'because she goes to groups'.

Attending groups is NOT an indicator of how hard working a CM is (or not). I don't do groups, but that doesn't make me any more or less 'lazy' than a CM who attends every group going.

HSMMaCM Sat 09-Feb-13 15:26:32

Mrscupcake23 - I didn't agree with everyone else grin.

Flisspaps- staying at home does definitely not imply you're lazy, but a lazy CM might well stay at home all day.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 15:48:10

knackered even if the childminder does sit down for the whole 2 hours and only says 'don't do that Johnny' she is not having a break. She is maybe having an easier than normal 2 hours, but she isn't on a break from work. She is at playgroup, watching the children. When you have a break from work is it in the surgery seeing to patients?

I think the childminder is being defended here because, apart from dripfeeding, mumsnet doesn't like judgypants. For the OP to know exactly what this childminder does and says for 2 hours and to also know what her mindees are doing/saying/needing for 2 hours she must pay absolutely no attention to her own charges and just sit (or stand) and watch for 2 hours. This is very unlikely. What has probably happened is that the OP has seen this childminder and her charges at playgroup, hitched her judgypants up into her arse crack, and decided based on little bits of observation (interrupted by dealing with her own charges of course) over a short period of time that this childminder is lazy and isn't doing a good job for her mindees.

No one needs that kind of judging and the OP should mind her own business.

ReetPetit Sat 09-Feb-13 17:32:54

Flisspaps, if you re read what i have written, i have actually said if these posts are accurate then she is lazy but if she was REALLY lazy she wouldn't go to groups.

I am not saying all cms who don't go to groups are lazy but I do think it shows a certain amount of inititiave and energy to even go to 4 groups a week as this cm apparently does hmm

brightpinkleggings Sat 09-Feb-13 19:35:57

Why is it easier to stay at home than go toddlers? I totally disagree.

HSMMaCM Sat 09-Feb-13 20:25:57

It's harder to stay at home if you are working properly, but it's easier to stay home if you just shut the children in a room with cbeebies all day.

ReetPetit Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:17

personally,i couldn't bear to be in all day! i do lots with my mindees and like to do messy activities which are much more difficult and messier wink at home. I also do use groups as a social outlet for me as otherwise i would go stir crazy.
however, i do know of cms who do nothing with their mindees and don't go to groups. i am really not saying this is true of all cms who stay at home but i do know of people who go home, clean, cook and stick mindees in front of tv. not good but easily done and how would anyone know if you are not visible. This is all I was saying. this cm may be (fairly) lazy and in which case you should challenge her if you feel she is truly neglectful when at group but at least her mindees are getting out to groups and she is putting in the effort of getting their 4 days a week!!

morescribbles Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:46

When I started childminding I used to interact a huge amount with my mindees at groups but found that it made my mindees rely on me far too much. The purpose of toddler groups is to help children to interact with their peer group, to work with their personal, social and emotional development. There are craft activities and areas that we can join the children to assist them and observe them at play. I look after my mindees for ten hours in a day and our home based play is very structured. When I have mindees with me who are confident enough to enjoy independent play alongside and with other children I will sit aside and feel a pride in their confidence and security in their surroundings and social interractions. It is important for the children to have their own uninterrupted time with other children to prepare them for social skills at nursery. Certainly at the groups i go to childminders will help where help is needed but will stand back and supervise play allowing the children their own time too. i can't comment on the cm in question but it worries me that parents may see it as negative that we don't spend all our time alongside children. They need to learn how to make friends. One of my mindees received a party invitation from a little boy at group. He was do shy initially. It has taken a long time and a lot of work to get him to the point he could leave my side and make friends. His parents were so pleased. I love watching him race into the groups now, wanting to play with other children without a concerned look in my direction. Again I can't be sure with the cm in question but please don't judge cm for sitting down and talking. We share ideas, discuss methods of dealing with situations and yes, sometimes just talk but we are working and I don't consider toddler groups a break!!

Murjika Fri 03-May-13 00:27:26

What do you think good childminder should provide, I am parent, my son gets picked by CM after school 3pm and some days 4 pm as he does after school club, my CM asked me pay from 3pm regardless what time she picks him up, I agreed but not sure if that's right way forward?
Also whenever I asked my son what he did at CM he says played, and had a snack.
Ism not sure if I should be happy with the care she provides or not, please advice.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 03-May-13 00:54:42

It would be best to start a new thread rather than bring back an old one that has nothing to do with your question.

doughnut44 Fri 03-May-13 07:04:55

with regards to paying from 3pm -yes definitely. you are using an after school place. If school finishes at 3 that's when you start paying.
What would you like to see your child do at the minders? I would be happy with a play and a snack. They have had structure all day at school and most likely need a break imo x

Fightlikeagirl Fri 03-May-13 11:39:34

Totally agree with poster above.
I would charge from finish of school and I don't do structured activities with my after school children. Maybe a bit of painting or junk modelling if they want to but most of the time they want to either have a play in the garden to let off steam or have fun building with the lego.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 03-May-13 11:40:12

I'm a CM and charge a flat rate of £10 / child after school.
She is right to charge you from 3. Does she have to go home with other children she collects and then head back 30 mins after she got home to collect yours? Major ball ache and I would just say no.

By the time I get in at 3.40 the kids just want to play because they've been doing all day at school.

They have their tea at 4.30.

Then they play until their grown up comes some leave as early as 4.45-5pm. There there is very little time to do organised activity.

Besides playing together is important - building relationships, learning to share and cooperate.

What would you like to see you CM do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now