Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM Club : Help re increase in fees

(6 Posts)
doughnut44 Thu 07-Feb-13 23:15:03

Hi - agree with the others about the newsletter. I put in my contract at the beginning that my fees will increase on the 1st September every year x x

fivesacrowd Thu 07-Feb-13 16:09:37

I increased fees as of January. Just put in newsletter in october that fees were increasing so they had lots of notice. Also put what other cm in area charge and that "I'm sure you'll agree that the service I provide is good value for money" . Two parents wrote back to say I'm excellent value, one complained to anyone (including my friends) who would listen to her about it! All now paying increased rate and even though it was a small increase, I have noticed a difference in my income already grin. Good luck.

Pinner35 Thu 07-Feb-13 15:53:53

Thanks. My other mindees are paying the going rate so no need for them to be reviewed, its just this one. OK, I will draft and send this weekend. I am preparing for a battle though....she's not one to just go with the flow. Ho hum.

HSMMaCM Thu 07-Feb-13 14:51:30

Good answer badger head. I agree, keep it simple and to the point. I review my fees on the same date each year, so parents are expecting it. If she tries to argue with you, just point out that she has had a discounted rate for 2 yrs and the discount is no longer available.

badgerhead Thu 07-Feb-13 14:40:57

I would just do a standard type of letter that you have being doing a review of all your fees and have therefore decided to increase yours to £... with effect from 1st April or whatever date you need to put allowing for whatever notice period is within your contracts. I wouldn't go into the whys & wherefores as that is none of her business. Are you reviewing all of the parents fees & are any of the others increasing? if they are do something similar & if they aren't write & let them know that you have reviewed their fees & are keeping them at the same level for X amount of months when they will be reviewed again. I tend to review mine yearly for September to tie in with the new school year, but have done in April in the past to tie in with the financial year.

Pinner35 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:45:58

I'm looking for some advice about what to put in a letter to one of my parents regarding an increase in fees.

I have her two children after school for 3 hours once a week (they are now aged 8 and 6). They've been with me for almost 2 years and they pay under my usual rate, as I stupidly gave her a discount (this was when I was a relatively inexperienced CM). So, roll on to the present, and its not financially viable for me to continue to have them at the reduced rate, so I want to increase it to my standard rate. It will work out an extra £9 per week for her. I am absolutely not worried if she decides to give me notice...the kids are OK, but the mother is erm, challenging.

So, how should I phrase it?

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now