This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny gave batteries to baby to play

(32 Posts)
Catsit Tue 05-Feb-13 23:43:03

I am working from home. I heard my son (13 months) crying for quite a while. I went into the bedroom. He was semi attached sitting in his pram facing the wall. His nanny sitting on the bed reading facebook on her phone while having one hand on the pram to try to rock him to sleep. I didn't comment on her activity and said - if he doesn't want to sleep anymore (he used to sleep up to three hours in the morning - now only one to two), perhaps you play with him. She said ok - took him - went with him into the kitchen dinner, sat him on the floor and put a box of batteries in front of him. Should I fire her?

ZuleikaD Thu 07-Feb-13 05:28:30

It's the type of 9V battery with both terminals at one end that a baby could get its tongue onto that I was talking about above. It was covered on my paed 1st Aid course.

Callthemidlife Thu 07-Feb-13 06:17:50

i will be having a serious conversation with her

What, like firing her on the spot? Because that's what I'd do with someone who is clearly not suited in any way, shape, or form, to be a nanny. If this is what she does in front of you then I shudder to think how engaged she is with your baby when you are not there.

WeAreEternal Thu 07-Feb-13 06:31:09

Is this serious?

If it is then the only conversation that you need to have is that she is fired.

annh Thu 07-Feb-13 14:13:07

Where is the OP gone?

sunshinenanny Fri 08-Feb-13 18:48:27

minderjinx there is a reason why the battery cases on all toys and some other things that might appeal to children now have secure battery cases that you have to use a screwdriver to get into, so your reasoning that they wouldn't put batteries in toys if they were dangerous doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

If this is not a wind up I think its awful and the nanny needs to be shown the door.

yousankmybattleship Fri 08-Feb-13 18:51:11

Who ever has a box full of batteries? I'm lucky if I can find one.

Oh, and yes - sack the nanny -she's bonkers.

Coconutty Fri 08-Feb-13 18:54:07

So she had a pram in the bedroom and then gave him a box of batteries ( do batteries even come in a box)?

Course she did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now