Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ofsted Registered Nanny for 6 hours per week: too much to ask??

(12 Posts)
jomorgan Sun 10-Feb-13 15:03:22

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but what about a childminder? She / he could pick your children up from school and look after them at their house. Your children may prefer it to their after school clubs as more homely and they can relax. Also you wouldn't have to worry about CRB, insurance, qualifications etc, as this will already be set up by the childminder.

forevergreek Sat 09-Feb-13 20:54:55

I would look for a nanny with own child. They are more likely to not be wanting work full time due to their own child's commitments ( if they can afford to with partner working only). But may want a few extra hours work if they can bring their child also. They generally are asking for slightly less per hour in exchange, and if thy have a school age child at same school it would be perfect

fraktion Thu 07-Feb-13 08:57:40

They would need at least the basic common core, as offered by MNT Training among others.

Early Years qualifications actually cover 0-7 so it would still be relevant.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 07-Feb-13 08:47:49

Could you get a nanny share with a family with younger children who can cover after school?

FlorenceMattell Wed 06-Feb-13 15:36:45

Hi Jampickles
I have just posted you a reply but maybe in wrong section, wasn't logged in.
So excuse me if double post.
I think your job sounds reasonable. I have just started Nannying, my own children are teenagers. I have paid my own insurance and first aid.
I would be happy to be Ofsted Registered, it is £103 - so for your job I would expect you to pay, as hours few and not cost effective. For a full time job I would pay it all.
Interestingly since starting my nanny job, a few mums I know have said "oh I could do that", (older children) so maybe you could advertise at your children's school? A lot of people already have first aid , if doing scout for instance or dinner lady.
But can't help you with qualification that Ofsted require, I have a level 3 from teaching. Hope you find someone nice, horrid if children unhappy.

jampickles Wed 06-Feb-13 12:45:46

Oh and Nanny Nick - the link for the qualifications is for Early Years. My girls are 5 1/2 and 8 would the same apply? is there a list anywhere of courses Ofsted will accept I've tried searching their site without success?

jampickles Wed 06-Feb-13 12:39:55

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. I really don't mind paying for all the ofsted registration if they do the job well and don't leave me in a few months (having footed the bill for all the training requirements and made them more appealing to other employers) I just wonder what I can do to avoid this when there are no ofsted registered candidates ( I've been advertising for about 3 weeks and have interviews with 2 candidates this week having seen 2 last). All the nannies in my area on childcare.co.uk who are ofsted registered want longer hours and Gum tree is only producing unreigstered candidates without experience / first aid and this is my dilema. I did offer the job to someone already but she came back to me to say she couldn't work from May till October which was a non starter, I offered to pay her ofsted, first aid etc and came up with two rates of pay one with ofsted and one without to incentivise her to do it and make it a win-win for both parties. In terms of CRB is there anything quicker than ofsted that I could do to make sure I'm not employing someone who might harm my children as I'll need to give 1 month notice at after school club if I find someone who is not registered and who knows when Ofsted will approve them, meanwhile my kids are stuck in their miserable afterschool club. Should I try advertising for someone who wants to bring their own child? I was thinking this might make them more ammenable to my hours.

Mrscupcake23 Tue 05-Feb-13 09:49:40

I think it would be better to get someone who is ofstead registered already. Although think this would be quite hard to fill unless someone can fit in with another job.

Why not offer to pay half?

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:26:55

I don't think legally you can write it into their contract they would have to pay back the registration costs of they leave. I think it goes against some employment law surrounding the right to gain new employment? Vaguely remember this being an issue with newly qualified accountants, but I could be wrong.

nannynick Mon 04-Feb-13 22:22:25

Is it reasonable to expect the Nanny to pay their Nanny insurance if I pay for the registration and the first aid course?

Yes. Though the nanny may already be registered and have first aid training. Given it can take time to register, you may want to look at candidates who are already registered, depending on your proposed start date.

What happens if they leave shortly after I pay for everything?
I am not sure. I suppose you could make repaying it should they leave within six months a condition in the contract, though not sure in reality you would want to go through the legal process to enforce such a thing, for the sake of what may be £200 or so. Small claims court costs and it's the time and hassle you need to consider.

Qualifications wise it is tricky. Education.gov.uk: Qualifications Finder - probably best to make sure it's on this list.

Would a student who had completed the first year of a degree in childcare be well enough qualified?
No, not sufficient in my view as until they have their degree they have no qualification. So look at what they had prior to starting the degree course.

There is a short Common Core course that can be done... OCN Common Core Skills which can be done by distance learning (cost £138). Would take a while though, I can't remember how long it took me... not long for the paperwork but took a while to get it marked.

Another candidate has completed "Foundation Child Protection course" I really have no idea what that means

Me neither, it could be anything. Possibly something like this which would not be suitable for Ofsted Registration. It's being aware of child protection issues, which is just one bit of the Ofsted requirements what anyone working with children should have training in on a regular basis (plus finding out local child protection procedures, as things can vary between LA areas).

Have you sorted out payroll side of things? Keep in mind the applicants most likely have another job, as the hours you are offering are low. So agree a Gross salary.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 04-Feb-13 22:04:25

personally i feel that all nannies who want to call theirselves professional and be treated as such, should have insurance anyway to protect theirselves

so yes the nanny pays for insurance, i can understand why you would want to have in contract about deducting ofsted costs if they leave before 6mths and again i think fair

you may find it hard to employ someone for literally 6hrs, 3 hrs for 2 days as means they cant find another job easily, unless say work in a nursery/school am

jampickles Mon 04-Feb-13 21:48:40

My primary age girls HATE their after-school club (2 nights a week) so I have advertised for a part time Nanny. I really want someone Ofsted registered as this would mean I could afford to pay them for longer shifts in school holidays (6 - 9 hours a day up to 4 days) but only IF Nanny wanted to (we currently do holiday clubs in other schools) and this would also mean I can afford to give them the going hourly rate for a expereinced nanny.

Is it reasonable to expect the Nanny to pay their Nanny insurance if I pay for the registration and the first aid course? What happens if they leave shortly after I pay for everything? I was thinking of putting it in the contract that the Ofsted registration cost would be deducted from their salary if they leave after less than 6 months - is that reasonable?

Anyone have any tips on the qualifications needed for Ofsted registration- all it says is a level 2 ( but what is that? Would a student who had completed the first year of a degree in childcare be well enough qualified? Another candidate has completed "Foundation Child Protection course" I really have no idea what that means but feel like I should know as it looks like I will probably have to foot the registration bill if I find someone?

I'm interviewing two candidates this week.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now