Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Starting a new job part time on mondays, what's my entitlement for bank hols?

(6 Posts)
gruffaloshild Wed 06-Feb-13 14:24:46

I have just found that it's fourteen hours a week which would give me 78.4 hours over a year so as far as I can surmise, if I don't work on a bank holiday Monday and I still want to be paid, I will have to use however many hours I normally work on that particular day.
Okay that's great thanks

nannynick Mon 04-Feb-13 19:54:10

Sit down with a calendar and go through all the bank holiday dates to see which fall on your working days.

gruffaloshild Mon 04-Feb-13 19:51:06

Thank you both smile

nannynick Mon 04-Feb-13 19:49:41

5.6 x 15 hours (probably better doing it in hours as you say your hours are split over a few days, so you may not be working an equal number of hours each day).
So 84 hours is the Statutory Minimum holiday entitlement.

If the family does not want you to work on a Bank/Public Holiday (be that a Monday or another day... some fall on other days of the week - https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays) then they can insist that you take annual leave, which would be the number of hours that you would have worked that day, if you had been working it. Hope that makes sense.

There is no entitlement to having bank holidays off. There is no entitlement to be paid any extra for working a bank holiday. These things are down to what is agreed between you and written in your contract/written statement.

LIZS Mon 04-Feb-13 19:42:06

You holiday entitlement should be prorated to include bh's. Then you can decide to work or take the time off.

gruffaloshild Mon 04-Feb-13 19:39:48

Thanks for reading, I am going to be doing 15 hours a week spread over a few days one of these days will be mondays, the family has asked me what I want to do with regards to this day.
Am I entitled to extra pay if I do work or time in lieu?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now