Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Anyone been in a similar position and got a gd solution plz?

(8 Posts)
Boardiegirl Sat 29-Dec-12 19:08:59

Thanks folks, looks like its gna b hard going, unless laughinlikeadrain lives near us!
I think my dd wud have to factor in a part time return to work plus me and my dh wud need to have the child a lot after nursery and such. I dnt know whether its even viable that they have a child in this situation, altho that seems a little radical. Maybe thats another post altogether. As always thanks for your help, more opinions and advice welcome smile

Festivechocaholic Fri 28-Dec-12 22:51:21

I saw an article in the local paper about a 24 hour nursery, that was in south east london

laughinglikeadrain Fri 28-Dec-12 21:25:40

I do offer sessions to cover this type of need because my dh used to work 3weeks on a total and I found it impossible to get cover, so I retained as a cm and now offer this service for others. I only charge for the sessions you use. No holding fees, holiday pay or anything.

ReetPetit Fri 28-Dec-12 21:24:56

As far as im aware there are no nurseries open 24/7 and imo it wouldnt be fair to have a young baby in a nursery late in the evening/very early morning anyway...
The only way to work this would be to pay either a cm/nursery/nanny - v.expensive for full time care,then use what they need within normal working hours and cover the rest with family OR dare I say it,look at a temp change in work pattern at least while child so young. Something has to give at the end of the day and you may well find if/when your dd falls pregnant her priorities will change anyway.

Boardiegirl Fri 28-Dec-12 19:25:02

Thanks for these. Others in her workplace are not the main wage earners so usually go back part time. You both suggest a fulltime nursery place so i guess thats the best solution but obv v expensive unfortunately, especially as the dad2be does work wkends. I cud prob have the baby one of the wkend days. An added complication is the shifts they noth work; do any nurseries open 24/7?

insancerre Fri 28-Dec-12 14:49:29

It would be easier to pay for a fulltime place and have you and the child's dad for the weekends (presuming you/he don't work weekends)
Then you simply use the CM/nursery when you need to and keep the baby off when mum is off work
it would be simpler than trying to find someone to work round the shifts.

fraktion Fri 28-Dec-12 14:35:52

Childminders and nannies will often be able to provide this kind of care but it cones at a price, and her DH/you being able to have the baby occasionally won't reduce the cost as they would still need to pay for that day one way or another. They may work at a loss for a few years but IMO it's worth weighing that up against the security in the long term.

Does she know what others in her workplace do?

Boardiegirl Fri 28-Dec-12 11:04:50

My DD wirks a shift pattern of 6 on, 4 off that cannot be changed. She and her h2b are wanting a family soon and she is the main wage earner,So wil b returnin to work, altho it wud b tough to manage without his wage too if he became a stay at home dad for example. Are there nurseries/childminders out there who will accept such irregularities? ie different days and times every week, not needed wen h2b is on a day off or wen i cud have the baby etc etc? Have any of u mumsnetters found a gd workable solution?
Many thanks in anticipation.
PS I kno its their prob not mine but theyre not on mn and i kno how helpful u can be smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now