Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Worried my DS won't sleep at CM's - please reassure me!

(12 Posts)
Crimebusterofthesea Sat 22-Dec-12 10:36:26

Thankyou again for your reassurance - I'm trying not to worry about it as I can't do anything about it - I have to go back to work! I'm sure he will get used to it in time, and we are having a whole week of him being there before I actually go back so I can sit at home and cry be around if there are any issues.

calmlychaotic Sat 22-Dec-12 02:04:25

I think every child I have looked after so far has come with a warning from worried mum that they won't sleep unless a complicated lengthy process is followed, or they will only sleep while out walking in the buggy or in the car or something. and they have all ended up napping for 2 hours in travel cots I have had to take pictures to show parents or they wouldn't believe me! probably won't happen straight away but he will be fine, soon, I promise!

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 20-Dec-12 16:42:21

He may well not sleep. My two slept brilliantly at home. Drop and run style - in their cots, sharp exit. Wake them up 2+ hours later. At nursery - was lucky to get 20 mins out of them all day! But they survive. They truly do. Even if they pass out in the car on the way home. It's not the end of the world - and it doesn't last forever!

HSMM Thu 20-Dec-12 16:39:29

I'm a CM. It will be fine. My own DD would never sleep without her hand up my sleeve (yes I know), but slept no problem for her Gran or aunt.

NatashaBee Thu 20-Dec-12 14:21:28

It will be fine. DS is a nightmare to get to sleep at home. At nursery they just put their beds out, tell them 'nap time' and the little sod lays down and goes right to sleep! I didn't believe it till I saw it. Will there be other children napping at the same time?

YoSaffBridge Thu 20-Dec-12 14:17:36

Another one with a crap napper who generally sleeps like a dream at the CM's, little minx.

However, on the odd days when she doesn't sleep too well (mostly because she is too excited by all the other children there) we find it isn't entirely the end of the world, as she can manage a whole day on a twenty minute power nap. I'm not saying she is the happiest soul in the world with that short a nap, but it's not the same as when she was very young and didn't sleep well.

But he will surprise you, I think they always do!

Crimebusterofthesea Wed 19-Dec-12 19:58:37

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I really do hope he will be fine, the sleeping is the only thing I am worried about - he is awful at night if he doesn't sleep well during the day. Am liking the sound of him eating more fruit and veg there too smile

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Dec-12 19:32:19

As ems23 said - it's amazing what children do for parents and their carers

Was told a baby needed rocking and would sleep 20/30mins then wake grumpy and wouldn't resettle

For me they slept straight away in cot and sleep for 1.5hrs+

They eat fruit and veg and curry but won't for parents

Your child will be fine smile

EMS23 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:15:32

Likelihood is that you'll be amazed (and slightly annoyed) at the things your DS will do for the CM that he will not and may never do for you!

It may be that he takes a bit of time to find his way to sleep there but eventually he will.

Or if he's anything like my pfb DD1, he'll be the model self settling sleeping wonder child for the CM and continue to expect special treatment at home for some time to come. 7 bloody months my DD had me rocking her to sleep despite self settling at nursery every day!

And don't get me started on the things she'll eat there compared to at home!

Eskarina Wed 19-Dec-12 19:07:46

My dd was 12 months when she started with her cm 4 months ago. She was a reluctant napper for me though not as much as your little chap sounds. She sleeps beautifully now, and did after the first couple of days. I think you'd DS will be fine smile

januarysnowdrop Wed 19-Dec-12 18:34:50

Don't worry about it - she'll work things out somehow. And babies can be very adaptable - he'll work out his own routine when he's with her, which may be completely different from his routine at home. Even if she has a few tricky days at first, I'm sure it'll all work itself out.

Crimebusterofthesea Wed 19-Dec-12 18:28:25

My 11 month old DS has always been a bit of a rubbish sleeper and hasn't had any experience of sleeping in a travel cot at another house. At the moment, he needs at least 20 minutes of wind down time, which includes a few stories and then lights out. He won't go to sleep if I leave the room immediately, I have to lie next to him on the floor. We are slowly trying to improve this via gradual withdrawal but we aren't getting very far! My concern is that the CM won't be able to get him to nap at all. I doubt she will be able to invest as much time in getting him to sleep as me as obviously she has other children to think about.

I'm really worried that he is just going to turn into a miserable, overtired wreck! He is my pfb (surprise surprise) so I have no idea how adaptable babies tend to be. I don't really know what I'm asking, I just need some reassurance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now