Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to ask my childminder to have the TV on less?

(33 Posts)
kawaii123 Tue 11-Dec-12 12:41:02

My DS (just 1) goes to an absolutely wonderful child minder who I adore. She started off with just him and they did so many different things every day and he has bonded with her amazingly. She has since taken on two other children (one of which is only there two days a week). And now the TV seems to be on all the time. They have their lunch in front of the TV which has caused a couple of problems with eating at home and their afternoon snack. And when I come to collect the TV is on.

Don't get me wrong I totally understand that she has an incredibly hard job and sometimes she needs to whack the TV on so she can get something sorted or they just won't calm down etc. I don't think TV is evil or anything nor do I expect her to be constantly teaching my son, doing every wholesome activity under the sun etc.

We don't really watch TV at home but more out of habit because we never had it when we moved in and so I didn't have it during maternity leave etc. Now my DS gets the remote and points it at the TV etc

So would I be unreasonable to ask her to reduce the amount of TV they watch? Or should I just think, it's her home and it isn't my place to judge what she does in her own home? I know her daughter and husband are very keen on television and am not sure her daughter would be OK with not having the TV on when she is home from school.

I don't want to rock the boat because I do think she is lovely and fab but I would rather he didn't watch quite so much telly. He also gone gotten really difficult at mealtimes which I wonder might be to do with the watching telly. After a terrible afternoon and no eating I let him eat in front of the TV and he ate every last mouthful (a bit creepy staring blankly and just opening his mouth for food! smile )

Would love any advice from mums or childminders re experiences.

MUM2BLESS Sun 16-Dec-12 19:27:50

I have the tv on in moderation. I select programmes such as something speical, I can cool Mr Marker for the little one.

You can mention it is you feel you need to.

I do a lot of free play where the little one is able to choose what she wants to do (ie moon sand, play dough, building blocks etc.)

One of my mums does not want her son to watch more than 20 mins of tv.

doughnut44 Mon 17-Dec-12 23:42:15

As others have said there is nothing wrong with a bit of TV but certainly not during meal times.
I think you def need to have a chat with your cm about this matter

RedHelenB Tue 18-Dec-12 19:05:01

TBH, the main concern is that she looks after your child well. If the other mindees want tv & you don't want it for your child what is she supposed to do???

jelliebelly Tue 18-Dec-12 19:12:36

You are not paying her to use the tv to entertain her mindees. Her job is to look after/stimulate/ entertain not switch the tv on.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 18-Dec-12 19:15:44

There is a time and a place for the tv, mealtimes is not one of them. Sitting down to eat is a social event and talking about your day etc should be encouraged, not sitting there zombie like immersed in the screen.

LeeCoakley Tue 18-Dec-12 19:27:55

Entertain? Really? shock

Muffinpig Tue 18-Dec-12 19:29:27

I am worried about this too. My cm is wonderful and she only has her own two dcs and my two. This can make it difficult for me to raise things like this as it feels like a criticism of how she parents her own children. They don't have the tv on at all during the day but when her 6yo gets home from school he is exhausted and just wants to watch tv and relax. I have made a few pointed comments but feel very reluctant to ask her to switch it off completely. I also worry it would make her 6yo resent my dcs! They are only there for dinner 1 day a week so I suppose it isn't as big an issue as if they were there for 5 days.

HSMM Tue 18-Dec-12 20:54:36

My DD has a TV in another room for after school ( she has complained over the years that I ignore her after school ... but that's because she goes to watch TV). I have the TV on sometimes with the mindees when we watch a programme together and gain something from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now