Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

After school pick up charges

(29 Posts)
CountingSparrows Mon 03-Dec-12 14:41:43

Just after some ideas please; I've recently asked my cm if she could collect ds1 from school and keep him until 5pm, and she is not sure what to charge for this. School is about a 10 minute walk, collect at 3.10pm, and keep him until 5pm. I hope I can afford it as she has ds2 who is really happy with her.

I just wondered what you cms out there would charge (and do you do reduced rate for siblings?)? TIA

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 21:33:47

Luckily I realised how much it'd cost me and didn't want to charge an additional £1.50 for meals.

I changed my mind just before I took on my first customers. (phew!)

I am sure the CM in my town think I charge too much as I went in at going rate for area £3.50- hour / £10 after school. And some of the older more established ones only charge £3-3.25.

But I could see the predicted hikes in food and energy and thought it best TI go in higher.

I get what you are saying.

Tanith Tue 11-Dec-12 18:11:17

I can't say whether or not it's a lot of money because I don't know where the childminder lives, the going rate locally or what kind of service the childminder provides.

I didn't take it as a personal attack on me but, what I have said again and again on here is that it's not for any of us to judge another childminder's charges.

There are so many reasons why the charge is £20 and, presumably, the childminder has costed her service and is charging what she believes she needs to provide the service. If she's extortionate, parents won't use her (if she doesn't want to provide that service, she might even be charging a high fee to put people off!).

Incidentally, if you're charging to include a cooked evening meal and not actually providing it, aren't you overcharging your parents...? wink

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 17:11:32

Tanith

I read the OP where the OP clearly states her requirements and it is a lesser service than I provide (I go until 6pm and provide food). I just wouldn't expect the service to be double the price for less just because its in a different area. The minimum wage doesn't double does it?

As I said I didn't notice your post that you charged the same as the OP's CM or I wouldn't have commented - as it did come across as aimed at you straight after your post. Not my intention as like you say I don't know your circumstances. I did however know the OP's.

But for what the OP wanted - no actual outlay in cost - no petrol and no food £20 is a lot of money.
Is it not?

But like the OP said its her business and she runs it how she chooses.

I intended to provide an evening meal for my charge of £10 however my parents turn up at any time from 4.30 pm and it isn't long enough to cook tea and get them fed, before they start collecting.

But I'm v lucky to live up North in a massive semi with a big playroom that costs me less than £400 a month in mortgage!
But my prices also reflect what my parents can afford.

sunnyshine Tue 11-Dec-12 17:00:31

Where actually are you? Someone may be able to help?

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 16:49:44

I'd do it for you for a tenner!
And provide some toast, yoghurt and fruit. smile

Tanith Tue 11-Dec-12 16:48:28

That's my point: you're comparing two different services in different areas and expecting charges to be broadly similar. You don't actually know anything about the childminder in the OP, yet you said her charges are ridiculous and you aren't really in a position to judge that.

Fudgesmummy says she charges much less than that; she also has the children for less hours than I would - 2 hours instead of the 3 or 4 I would expect. Some are even later.

I'm reading about light teas and snacks: here, it's a snack when they get in and a fully cooked evening meal.

You see what I mean?

CountingSparrows Tue 11-Dec-12 14:58:08

Thanks everyone. I only need 1 night a week and he was in after school club (@&3.50 p/hr!) but he really hated it. We are just juggling hours/favours and managing for now.

FYI it is a 10 min walk (at most) and I provided a snack last time. It is just until 5pm and the only other child she has that day is my ds2, so no dragging loads of little children out into the cold, petrol or food costs. Just the inconvenience.

Still, it is her business and I respect that. She must charge what it is worth to her. It does mean its out of our range though!

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 14:42:42

Tanith
I hadn't read your comment about your charge of £20 for after school. I missed it.
So it wasn't directed at you! I wouldn't dream on commenting in your personal business.

It was at the OP's confirmation of her CM's price.

But £20 is a lot of money wherever you live. And it is no wonder some people cannot afford to use childcare.
I certainly wouldn't pay it!

fudgesmummy Tue 11-Dec-12 12:18:27

I'm in West Sussex and charge £5.25 an hour after school so would be £10.50. £20 would be way more than any minder could/would charge round here.

minderjinx Tue 11-Dec-12 11:39:02

I agree with Tanith, but would add that it is the cost of buying, insuring, heating and generally running a house large enough to childmind in that is the real killer in London and the South East.

Mindingalongtime Tue 11-Dec-12 09:53:51

The school pick up I do is a 30 mile return trip, I get 15 miles to the gallon if I'm lucky! Add in 2 crumpets, a handful of blueberries, strawberries and a banana, oh, and can I have a yoghurt too please, I'm barely covering my costs, but it is a service for a long standing client.

Tanith Tue 11-Dec-12 09:28:25

£20 is not ridiculous!!

Do you run my business? Do you offer my service? Do you operate where I live and travel miles for school pickups?

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 10-Dec-12 22:21:34

£20 is ridiculous!

I charge £10 per child per Evening. From 3.15 to 6pm. (I'm in Yorkshire though).
Includes drinks and light tea of toast/ crumpets/ sandwich and yoghurt and fruit.

Tanith Mon 10-Dec-12 17:46:11

It's not steep for this area (Surrey). It's what I charge and I know others charge more.
It's petrol and food that force our fees up.

looneytune Mon 10-Dec-12 13:48:07

I charge a min of 2 hours and my hourly rate is £4.50 (Berkshire) so my charge for this would be £9, no sibling discount. £20 is steep!

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Mon 10-Dec-12 13:45:59

are there any afterschool clubs he could go to that you could combine with another parent collecting him 1 or 2 days?

Mindingalongtime Mon 10-Dec-12 13:42:18

You sound a lovely parent and I would feel you are good reason for warranting a concession As your cm has your Ds2 as well, hopefully she may be able to compromise, I would if I had the other sibling and the family had been with me a long time. ( I have done it for a token round up the bill by £5)

CountingSparrows Tue 04-Dec-12 10:25:21

She said £20. I understand the sibling thing, not sure why I wondered about it really! I am pt anyway and don't earn much. I work from home so will juggle my hours to finish early and make up the time another day. I know that sounds easy but it's a fiddle as lots of other people i work with are affected but it'll be fine, I just would have preferred him to go to cm that 1 day a week. I could also try to arrange some reciprocal childcare with other parents as I could collect other days.

Thanks for your answers. I do appreciate my cm and don't want to exploit her, nor do I think it should be 'cheap', I just can't afford £20 extra p/week.

Mindingalongtime Tue 04-Dec-12 09:49:19

I charge a minimum of £20 for a school pick up too, it may seem a lot but it does mean you are able to work a full day which will net you a lot more than£20. No reduced rate for siblings, ever, they get the same care, same food and same attention, the place could also easily be offered to another client at the full rate due to scarcity of places, especially after school as the local clubs are closing due to not being able to get enough qualified staff.

Your other choice is to go part time and pick up your son yourself, which I am sure would be a much bigger financial loss.

I try not to do after school as it is the time when the littles really need me as they are tired and hungry and I find the after schoolers are full of excess energy and can upset the balance in the setting, hence only offering it to children who have been with me since babies.

It may be worth every penny especially as you already have a child with the childminder, your children are together in one pace, good for them easier all round for collection etc

lechatnoir Mon 03-Dec-12 23:19:21

I charge £18 from pick up to 6pm inc food and don't offer sibling discounts.

minderjinx Mon 03-Dec-12 20:57:51

What makes you think she will want £20?

CountingSparrows Mon 03-Dec-12 18:00:13

£20, we can't afford it sad

minderjinx Mon 03-Dec-12 17:23:20

I charge for three hours for pickup anytime 3pm to 3:30 and staying any time up to six, including tea if wanted. I know someone else who charges £15 but without tea, and another who charges £25 for before and after school (all Berkshire). I don't do sibling discounts, but I would offer a small discount for 5 days/week.

NickNacks Mon 03-Dec-12 16:53:18

Am I undercharging then?? Eek!

CountingSparrows Mon 03-Dec-12 16:17:13

We pay £5 p/hr for ds2 so £10 sounds right then. Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now