This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What changes are you making/willl be taking place in 2013?

(13 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 07-Dec-12 21:39:40

Thanks for your comments.

I am going to be the best cm I can be but I will not be taking on anything that I do not need to take on.

I aim to stay balance with work and my private life.

Italiana Wed 05-Dec-12 14:00:00

In a very short time E TRuss will respond to the Nutbrown review and then on the CCommission before Christmas...very timely indeed!!
I think after that many will make many changes if this Under Secretary gets her way
I heard her speak at the conference yesterday and questioned her...she has been listening to some things but what she may propose will be a shock for c/ms

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 04-Dec-12 23:13:18

Good Luck Flisspaps.

I am not enjoying CM at the moment either, just hoping to get the Level 3 out of the way and then apply for other roles that need a level 3 qualification. Whilst doing some voluntary work at school, alongside my parent governor role.

I just hate the invasion of privacy and my 2 boys are really feeling not having Mum to themselves.

I enjoy some parts of it I just hate the bureaucracy and uncertainty surrounding our future and I just want to be able to rung in sick if need be and not f* up 4 other families day/week!

My kids have been so poorly this term and last and I am sure it is the germs being brought in from 5 other homes and parents sending their to me when ill or sending them back before they are better.

I also have no childminding friends and the women at the network are a set of biatches.

Just feel really fed up today!

Flisspaps Tue 04-Dec-12 12:54:03

Mum2Bless I have applied for teacher training. That's what I really want to do, and whilst I really enjoyed CMing in the beginning, it just doesn't have the same shine as it did at the start. I entered into it simply as a way to stay at home with my own children, not because I wanted to become a career childminder. I've been at home for three years now, and this is not something that I can do long term.

Booh Sun 02-Dec-12 18:29:09

mum2bless - yes I'm cutting down, I've got one leaving as they are moving and I'm not going to replace the child.

Booh Sun 02-Dec-12 18:27:06

I'm going to tighten up my sickness policy again, well I have already it has gone out with my December invoices.

This term has been the worst ever, I've had a child dropped off who later I discovered their hair smelt of sick......another one who will be ill with temp / cold all weekend then be sent to me on a monday, and by 3pm screaming with a temp as obviously the calpol etc has worn off.........mum is two hours away so by the time she gets her to collect its almost normal time for collection anyway.

So now one sniff of them being ill / under the weather and thats it, home.

Oh, can you tell I'm ill after catching bug of a child and have very little patience for illness ATM as this is the third weekend of someone being ill in the house.

MUM2BLESS Sun 02-Dec-12 17:15:43

Anyone doing less hours because of the work load?

MUM2BLESS Sun 02-Dec-12 17:13:08

Thanks for your comments.

Flisspaps may I ask why you are leaving cm ding?

Congratulations to ZuleikaD and Twinkle.... all the best for the new arrivals.

FellingOld yes you can make it happen. grin. What are you saying yes to? I am learning not to volunteer to take things on. Some cm on mums net are very assertive and I am moving towards that in many areas.

I let parents know that my hours are 7 30 to 18.00. I do not mind the hours inbetween. In the past I have worked 07.oo and I have worked until 7pm, not planning to do those hours again. If an emergency arises thats different but not by choice.

I am not going to be stressing myself out in my role as a childminder. I am going to enjoy what I am doing in every sense.

More comments lovely people ....

FeelingOld Sun 02-Dec-12 17:02:04

I am going to be more assertive and learn to say no!!
Do you think if i keep saying this to myself from now til the new year i will actually manage to make it happen?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 02-Dec-12 16:30:04

We are expecting a baby in July, I will probably just not have my summer holiday kids (all others are term time anyway) then in sept I will have to reduce my after schoolers as I won't fit them in my car, but after an incident last week I know which ones its going to be.

ZuleikaD Sun 02-Dec-12 15:27:31

I'll be taking a break from Feb to September to be on maternity leave, and when I restart I will be charging more!

Flisspaps Sun 02-Dec-12 15:01:07

I'm hoping/planning to undertake teacher training and jack the CMing in. It's been fun but not a long term career option for me. If not 2013 then hopefully 2014.

Hats off to those that it is the career for, the next few months are looking interesting for the future of it as a profession.

MUM2BLESS Sun 02-Dec-12 14:56:53

I am a childminder.

2012 has been challenging at times but I am not a quittter. I have experience changes with childminding as well as changes with what has been taking place within my own family.

I like to reflect on what has taken place and how I can improve whats happened.

At present I do not want to take on anymore children as I think I have the quota that is manageable.

In Jan I may be doing a pre school run with a little one. This will allow me a few hours on my own before I pick up again.

I am very careful with what I agree to do for parents as I have taken on a bit more than I should have this year.

I now have three in senior school. One in Junior school.

What changes do you feel you need to make? have any changes been made for you by the parents (cut their hours etc). What about your own family changes?

Look forward to your comments smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now